Maximus IX Apex Circuit Analysis Continued
ASUS's ALC1220 implementation on the Apex isn't as extreme as on some of their other ROG motherboards, but it also doesn't need to be since it's an overclocking centric product. The ALC1220 (rebranded S1220 on ASUS motherboards), offers 120dB SNR output, and an integrated headphone amplifier. The motherboard's audio section is physically isolated from the rest of the motherboard, and ASUS added some Nichicon Gold series audio capacitors to improve audio quality.
ASUS is using Intel's i219v PHY to complete the Intel NIC circuit, but they also added in "LANGuard," which is designed to prevent ESD from damaging the NIC. USB 3.1 is provided by an ASMedia ASM2142, which is connected to two PCH PCI-E 3.0 lanes. An ASM1543 type-C switch and CC logic chip provides the type-C port support.
I also found an EtronTech EJ179S, which is a type-C switch and CC logic switch, but I am not sure why ASUS used both the ASM1543 and EJ179S. Needless to say, your type-C port will work correctly. The IC labeled AURA provides RGB LED control. Two 128Mbit ROMs (16MB) provide BIOS redundancy.
I am not sure what the IC labeled RC02656PY does, but it might be used for extra RGB functionality or one of the many OC features such as condensation detection. The chip labeled BIOS provides the USB FlashBack functionality to recover the BIOS ROM from a file on a USB stick in case the ROM onboard gets corrupted. The nuvoTon NCT6793D is the main SuperIO on the motherboard.
The ROG chip is in charge of ROG features, including many of the overclocking ones. The TPU chip controls overclocking by controlling the PWM for the VRM and the BCLK clock generator.
There are only six ASMedia ASM1480 quick switches; they move PCI-E bandwidth between the first three slots. An ASMedia ASM1442K level shifter provides HDMI on the rear IO.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Apex (Intel Z270) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS ROG Maximus IX Apex (Intel Z270) Motherboard retails for $289 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Maximus IX Apex Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Maximus IX Apex Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Maximus IX Apex Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Free-to-play made 80% of 2018 digital game revenues
- IO Interactive opens Swedish studio to work on new franchise
- New Dragon Ball Z action RPG in development
- Resident Evil 2 Remake demo impressions
- Ghostbusters 3 set for Summer 2020, teaser trailer released
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!