8K Random Write/Read
We precondition the drive for 16,000 seconds, or 4.44 hours, receiving performance data every second. We plot this data to observe the test subject's descent into steady-state. We plot both IOPS and Latency. We plot IOPS (represented by blue scatter) in thousands and Latency (represented by orange scatter) in milliseconds.
We observe steady-state for the 5100 MAX is reached at 8,000 seconds of preconditioning, settling in at about 42,000 IOPS. We observe steady-state for the 5100 ECO is reached at 11,000 seconds of preconditioning, settling in at about 14,500 IOPS.
8K random is a more demanding workload than 4K random. The 5100 MAX again delivers stunning results, delivering 43,137 IOPS at QD4. The 5100 ECO delivers the second-best result, delivering 14,729 IOPS at QD1. Even the powerful MLC-based SM863 is no match for the eTLC powered Micron 5100 SSDs when writing random data. Comparing the 5100 ECO to the TLC powered PM863 reveals that the 5100 ECO delivers nearly 50% better performance.
A pure 8K read workload takes its toll on the 5100 series SSDs. The Samsung offerings handily outperform both the 5100 MAX and 5100 ECO with this demanding workload. The MLC-powered M510DC manages to deliver better results than the 5100 MAX and 5100 EVO when reading 8K data. These results are testament to the write-centric nature of Micron's 5100 series SSDs.
Conclusion (TL;DR): Micron's 5100 series SSDs greatly favor write-centric workloads over read-centric workloads.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- South Korean cryptocurrency regulator found dead in his home
- Samsung Galaxy S9 latest: could be priced as high as $1250
- Windows 10 on ARM detailed, FUD is now spreading
- AMD's Ryzen 5 2600 is up to 31% faster than Ryzen 5 1600
- Fallout 4 mod offers 4K texture pack, looks way better
- Weird SATA Controller Issue
- Buy iPhone X $600 site www.BizFests.com
- Fitbit Ionic Smart Fitness Watch Review
- Noctua NH-L12S CPU Cooler Review
- MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit