Installation and Finished Product
The screws that go into the backplate have a flat side to lock against the plate and keep them from twisting. Once the screws, membrane, and the Intel nylon washers are in place, you can position the backplate on the motherboard. Orientation matters none for Intel mounting as all sides will clear the socket screws.
Moving then to the installation of the standoffs, running them down as tight as we could with our fingers, we then set the top brace on them. At this point, all you need to do is screw it in place, and we can move on to TIM application and mounting the cooler.
To mount the cooler, you slide in the cross bar, making sure the dimples fit into the drilled holes on the top of the base of the cooler. Then just grab the right pair of screws, and drive them in until there is no thread left. To access the screw on the other side of this crossbar, the fan does need to be removed.
The fitment of the cooler was all right, but when it came to fitting the fan, we ran into an issue with the RAM, and have the fan sitting much higher than the top of the cooler. The offset design works well too, as the cooler is moved away from that first PCI-e slot.
Close but no cigar. While just a few millimeters less fan, likely removing the red rubber pads, would have allowed the fan to ride at the appropriate height. We were not even going to attempt trying to slide it down and potentially screw up the RAM or the slot from the pressure.
Looking at the Core Frozr L after it is mounted, from the top of the motherboard shows the angle of the fins off well. The tower seems to lean as well, but we think it is an optical illusion, as our eyes assume the fins to be straight across. An additional fan will fit without question, but as it did at the front, for LGA2011 users, you can run into the same issue with RAM behind the CPU.
This is what you will see of the Core Frozr L most of the time. Since our MSI card is black and white, we opted to keep the silver plate on the cooler as it not only brightens up the view, but it breaks up a sea of black as well.
But wait, there is more. Once the fan lead is plugged into the motherboard, a secondary two-pin wire sends power to the cap on top of the Core Frozr L. This allows for the red LED backlighting to kick in and highlight the shapes cut into the cooler, as well as surrounding and matching the Gaming G Series logo.
PRICING: You can find the MSI CORE FROZR L CPU Cooler for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The MSI CORE FROZR L CPU Cooler retails for $50 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [MSI CORE FROZR L CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 10 new minutes of Anthem gameplay: boss fight, story & more
- FoxNext chooses the Nintendo Switch for Alien: Blackout
- Fire Emblem characters return in Smash Bros. Ultimate event
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sold 5 million units in 1st week
- First 2 hours of Kojima's Death Stranding confirmed complete
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Trailer shows the challenges of Etrian Odyssey Nexus
- Team Jolly Roger Announces launch Date For Real-Time Space-Ballistic Tactics Game 'Worbital'
- Music Card Game Upstart WOWs Top Musicians Worldwide with Their First Product
- Stardock Announces Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution Expansion
- Zerouno Games: Use your two neurons with Bleep Bloop. Launch Trailer Available