Maximus IX Formula Circuit Analysis Continued
The audio section got an upgrade compared to the previous Formula. A new S1220 codec, what I assume is a re-stamped Realtek ALC1220 is a welcome replacement for the ALC1150. While the ALC1220 has an integrated headphone amplifier, ASUS has made major improvements through the use of an RC4580 buffer, ESS Hi-Fi Sabre ES9023P DAC, Nichicon Gold series electrolytic capacitors, de-pop MOSFET, PCB shielding and separation, and a high precision clock source.
ASUS is using the Intel i219v PHY to compliment the integrated MAC in the PCH but has added LAN Guard which uses magnetics to help protect the LAN port from ESD. ASUS also provides their Wireless AC card (same as on the previous Formula), the QCNFA364A, which offers 2T2R Wireless AC with MU-MIMO technology.
Two ASMedia ASM2142 provide the USB 3.1 on the rear IO and the USB 3.1 internal header. The ASMedia ASM2142 is the next generation USB 3.1 controller that replaces the ASM1142 and links to the PCH through two PCI-E 3.0 lanes instead of a single PCI-E 3.0 port so that you get 16Gb/s of bandwidth instead of just 8Gb/s for the 10Gb/s USB 3.1 ports. An ASMedia ASM1543 is used as the USB 3.1 type-C switch and CC logic chip.
The Maximus IX Formula supports ASUS USB BIOS FlashBack feature to recover a corrupt BIOS ROM (this case a single 128Mbit/16MB Winbond IC) from a USB drive, and the chip labeled BIOS is in charge of this feature. The chip labeled AURA is an RGB LED controller, probably for the built-in RGBs on the motherboard. An IDT clock buffer is used for better BCLK overclocking, an unknown ROG chip, and a TPU chip control and provide all of ASUS's unique ROG features. Four ASMedia ASM1480 switch x8 PCi-E 3.0 from the CPU between the first and second PCI-E x16 slots.
The motherboard's main SuperIO is the nuvoTon NCT6793D. We find another ROG labeled chip, maybe for KeyBot, near the IO panel. An ASMedia ASM1442K level shifter is used to provide HDMI 1.4a from the digital display output of the CPU's iGPU.
Scared of shorting out your RGB header? Don't worry, ASUS has you covered with a Texas Instruments TPS2592AA 12v eFuse with OVP and blocking FET control.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Maximus IX Formula Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Maximus IX Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Maximus IX Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Square Enix to double down on service games
- Nintendo 64 Classic Edition likely on the way
- Anthem's early play trials are paygated
- Roar for 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' Blu-ray giveaway
- MyDigtialSSD ships BPX Pro and lowers prices
- صيانة كريازى مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجة كريازى الت
- صيانة جنرال اليكتريك مصر 0235700994 | توكيل ثلاجات ج
- صيانة كلفينيتور مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجات كلفين
- Battery Issue
- Crucial BX500 SSD Review - Fewer Components, Lower Prices
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games