Thermalright Macho Direct CPU Cooler
From the front of the Macho Direct, there is quite a bit to see and discuss. There are the aluminum base and the five copper pipes which exit the base and run through the fins in a staggered pattern. There are also the 31 fins in the stack, and if you look closely, you can even make out all of the tabs pressed down between the fins to help grab and direct the airflow through the fin stack.
This side of the Macho Direct is the side that will be nearest the top of the motherboard, and we can see the offset of the design which moves the cooler away from the RAM, allowing for full clearance, no matter the height of the memory. We can also see that down the side of the stack, tabs are bent between each of the fins to keep the spacing proper between them as well.
Looking through the back of the Macho Direct we can see that some of the heat pipes do not run in line with the rest of them. We can also see that there is a valley in the center, and this is made so that if desired, a second fan has room to build pressure to evacuate air at a higher rate than if it were flat.
Since we covered much of what the sides offer with the last image like this, there is one last thing to point out. With the offset pushing the cooler toward the rear I/O of the motherboard, this also puts the cooler much closer to the chassis exhaust fan, helping to offer some air flow to the tower should you choose to run this passively.
The top of the Macho Direct has a lot to cover. The tiny holes at the right and left are used to send wire fan mounts through the tower, and there are 62 tabs cut into each fin in the stack to address airflow and help to cool each fin. We also see that three of the pipes are in line, with two offsets to them, and the large hole near the back to aid in mounting this cooler to the rest of the hardware.
At the opposite end of the Macho Direct, we can tell that the fins are pressed onto the heat pipes. We can also see that the tabs are in each fin of the stack, and if you look near the base of the cooler, there is a Thermalright holographic sticker present as well.
After removing the protective sticker from the base, we can see the flattened sections of the heat pipes as well as the rough texture left from the milling process. There are wide gaps between the pipes which will eat up a lot of thermal paste, and the entire aluminum section will not make any contact with the CPU, as it sits much lower than the level of the pipes.
PRICING: You can find the Thermalright Macho Direct CPU Cooler for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Thermalright Macho Direct CPU Cooler retails for $48 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Thermalright Macho Direct CPU Cooler retails for £45 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Thermalright Macho Direct CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rum Runner's Pack free DLC debuts to Pillars of Eternity 2
- New Battlerite Royale screenshots unveil UI/more gameplay
- Co-op monster hunting title, Duntless releases open beta
- Dark Souls Remastered releases a whole day early on Steam
- Borderlands 2 is free-to-play and 75% off Steam this weekend
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,257
- Photo Backup and Build your own cloud with Synology
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit