While most reviews will have us bashing the feeling that rubber dome keyboards offer, and we usually do not like how light and flexible they are, the SKELTR has kept us interested and has stayed on our desk longer than just about any other since mechanical keys got to be mainstream.
The layout and lighting are perfect for the gamer side of us, the Macro buttons, the Thumbster keys, Easy Shift, the awesomeness of the all-in-one location SWARM software is a tremendous player in this too. Even for the typist in us, because of the added features ROCCAT has delivered, we felt the Bluetooth and its ability to simplify our daily grind to be far too good to give up on a product over switch types. While there will be many out there who will never give this product a chance for one reason or another, what it does offer is far superior to any keyboard we have used in the past. It proves ROCCAT is on the cutting edge and is delivering products with features you may have never knew you needed; that is until you use them.
Taking calls with the press of a key on the keyboard is handy, but hearing it and conversing through your headset while comfortably sitting there, not having to move much at all has its pleasure to it. Add in the fact that the slot along the back will hold just about any device without a thick case on it, and the fact that I can now type replies in various applications with the press of a single button, it makes life easier on a whole new scale. Then along with everything the keyboard can do out of the box with software and your mobile device, you still have the SWARM application to consider. This nearly makes the standard software unneeded for most of our time with the SKELTR.
With our phone turned into a touchscreen display for our PC and keyboard settings, you can make changes in a game, without missing a beat. The other aspect is that you can address the majority of setting without the use of a mouse as well. As long as you can do two things at once, you can make adjustments and play at the same time, that way you don't end up dead.
In our minds, there is one glaring thing that will likely keep many customers away. While this keyboard is excellent, at its heart, it is still a rubber dome or membrane switch keyboard. That being said, we realize that adding in Bluetooth isn't free, and neither is the design process. Asking $159.99 for the SKELTR is a tough pill to swallow for many, but if you could try it before you buy it, after a day or two, you would start to appreciate the product more, and the price would likely become less of an issue. The ROCCAT SKELTR smart communication gaming keyboard has all the features you would ever need, and a couple you did not know you needed, until now. As liberating as this device is, it is sad that we will have to put it on the shelf and make room for the next submission; it is that good.
If it were mechanical key based, it likely would be replacing our go-to keyboard for use when not testing submissions, and that says a lot for a product. Even if the price is a bit scary at first, we highly recommend the SKELTR to ease your day to day life.
Chad's Peripherals Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K - Buy from Amazon
- Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: KLevv Cras DDR4 3000 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Intel 730 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: SilverStone TJ11 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||96%|
|Bundle and Packaging||94%|
|Value for Money||90%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||96%|
The Bottom Line: You are not going to find a keyboard that delivers like the SKELTR does! On top of all the gaming needs being met, an attractive design, and comfortable layout, the addition of Bluetooth for device communications and the way ROCCAT implemented it make this the most feature-rich keyboards ever.
PRICING: You can find the ROCCAT SKELTR Smart Communication Gaming Keyboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ROCCAT SKELTR Smart Communication Gaming Keyboard retails for $160 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ROCCAT SKELTR Smart Communication Gaming Keyboard retails for £150 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging, Accessories, and Documentation]
- Page 3 [ROCCAT SKELTR Smart Communication Gaming Keyboard]
- Page 4 [SKELTR Continued]
- Page 5 [Inside the SKELTR]
- Page 6 [SWARM Software]
- Page 7 [SWARM Mobile App]
- Page 8 [Gaming and General Impressions]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's new Radeon RX 590 teased with ASUS ROG STRIX card
- Capcom reveal Resident Evil 2 Claire 'Military' DLC costume
- Soulcalibur VI - Swords and Souls documentary video part 1/2
- Mario/Zelda/Pokemon themed Smash Bros. Ultimate controllers
- Kingdom Hearts III Screenshots: Twilight Town/Olympus Worlds
- Intel Core i9-9900K 9th Gen Coffee Lake Review
- x79 compatibility with NVNe
- ASRock X399M Taichi Stuck on Splash Screen
- HP EX920 SSD Review - Mainstream Perfection
- SIV Smart Fan 5 on X399 platforms ... a mess.
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam