We feel that Patriot has positioned themselves well with the Hellfire. It costs less than a 950 Pro, and it is almost as fast. In some of our benchmarks, the Hellfire even manages to outperform Samsung's 950 Pro. If we compare the Hellfire to Intel's 750 Series SSDs, the Hellfire comes out on top most of the time. The Hellfire delivers better moderate workload performance than Intel's consumer NVMe offerings, which is why we feel the Hellfire is the superior SSD. On top of that, the Hellfire will cost you significantly less money than an Intel 750.
There are a couple of lower-cost NVMe SSDs on the market. They sell for about $70 less than the Hellfire, but what you gain in cost savings is in our opinion negated by lower performance. In fact, Intel's low-cost 600P NVMe SSD is such a poor performing PCIe SSD that top performing SATA SSDs can and do deliver better performance in certain scenarios. We have to look no further than our write transfer test to see that the 600P, although it is cheaper, doesn't deliver performance at a level we would expect to see from an NVMe SSD.
In the end, it all comes down to user experience, and on that front, Patriot's Hellfire delivers the goods. Our user experience while running the Hellfire as our OS disk was simply outstanding. It is noticeably superior to Intel's 750 Series, and every bit as good as what we get from a 950 Pro or OCZ RD400. Take a look at this boot video:
- Moderate Workload Performance
- Build Quality
- Most Appealing Form Factor
- Heavy Workload Performance
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||95%|
|Bundle and Packaging||90%|
|Value for Money||95%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: Patriot's Hellfire is affordable, fast, and delivers a first-class SSD experience. If you are in the market for a new SSD, Patriot's Hellfire has a lot to offer.
PRICING: You can find the Patriot Hellfire 480GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Patriot Hellfire 480GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD retails for $280 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Patriot Hellfire 480GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD retails for £316 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup, Drive Properties & Patriot PCIe Tool Box Utility]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks – CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (OS) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - IOPS, Response & Transfer Rate]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Amazon listing leaks Shadow of the Tomb Raider screenshots
- Far Cry 5: 2.5 million sold, digital sales 500% over Primal
- Fortnite made $223 million in March, 'king of battle royale'
- Epic: 'Battle. Adapt. Win' tease for Season 4 of Fortnite
- PC Building Simulator sells 100,000 copies in 30 days
- Gigabyte P104-100 GPU Mining Card
- ASUS STRIX H370-I GAMING (Intel H370) Motherboard Review
- Issue with X299 Taichi No video through GTX 1080ti
- GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI Motherboard Review
- AsRock Z97 not picking up SATA drive
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit