Inside the ALLOY FPS
As we do, we pulled some of the keycaps to have a look at the switches. We find Cherry MX blue switches used in the ALLOY FPS, each of them with an individual LED. Since this design sports exposed switches on the steel top plate, HyperX also leaves the torsion bars exposed. Keep this in mind when attempting to remove any of the larger keycaps.
The caps are single-shot in an opaque white, and once done are painted black. They use the standard Cherry MX stems in them, so they can easily be changed if desired, and with exposed torsion bars, we also get the brackets in the longer caps which hold the ends of the wire.
Most of the screws are sent through the top plate and into the plastic section of the frame, but there are two more, covered with the feet along the back edge of the keyboard as well. There are stems and cross-sections in the lower section of plastic to help support the steel plate, but nothing like ribs or larger ways of supporting it.
To control what this ALLOY FPS is cable of doing, and dealing with the traffic between it and the PC, HyperX chose the NXP LPC11U14F MCU. This is an ARM Cortex-M0, part of the 32-bit family, but is designed for 8-bit or 16-bit applications. Plenty to handle the features and abilities of this HyperX keyboard.
Picking a random location on the green PCB for a quality control image, we see nothing but clean solder points, and not a single hint of flux residue. This is a step some will gloss over, but it is a notch in the belt of HyperX, as it does show their attention to detail in this offering.
With the gaming keycaps added to the ALLOY FPS, it makes finding the keys very easy, even without any backlight active. These caps are slightly taller than the standard keycaps, and with the easy to feel texture offered on the WASD keys, it is simple to orient your hand on the correct keys for FPS gaming.
Cycling through the modes to see their effects, we stopped to get an image of the custom mode. Currently, the LEDs backlight the 1 through 4 keys, the WASD keys, the left Control key, as well as the spacebar. This can be changed as well, and the quick start guide shows exactly how to set it up as you like it.
We also made sure to raise the LED intensity to the maximum setting to get a view of the ALLOY FPS in all its glory. The lighting does drown out the red color, but in a dark room, the LED intensity is bright and easy to see. We did not activate the locks for this image, but the trio of LEDs by the HyperX logo are also red in color when active.
PRICING: You can find the Kingston HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Kingston HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard retails for $100 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Kingston HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard retails for £100 at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gears of War 4 to release Halloween Event and Update
- Star Wars The Last Jedi is expected to make $760 million
- GIGABYTE reveal the AORUS X9 gaming laptop
- ASUS announce ROG Strix X370-I & B350-I motherboards
- Microsoft wants you to 'feel true power' with Xbox One X
- Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT: PCIe 3.0 that work only at 1.0 with Asus Hyper m.2 x 4 card
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard