Benchmarks – SMB Workloads
Workload testing is done using IOMeter at 128 QD. I run these tests at least three times for each array type. RAID 0, seen above was pretty strong in database, file and web server.
RAID 5 again made this appliance very competitive to the larger solutions. Even with 128QD, the DS416slim excelled through database at a touch over 800 IOPS, and web server just over 600 IOPS.
Moving over to RAID 10, the DS416slim just looked tired after all that work put in for the previous two RAID modes. It was barely able to reach 500 IOPs in database or 400 IOPS in email server.
Somehow earlier in the year around May I missed the release of this NAS. While I tend to stay pretty busy when I was doing some research on the DS916, I came across this solution and promptly asked about it. While many of you that already have a Synology appliance will have very little interest in a solution like the DS416slim, for those of you that don't need great amounts of storage capacity and want to save space but still have all the features, then this solution doesn't disappoint.
I was actually impressed by the single client results as the slim stayed right with the larger appliances in almost every scenario. Before we get too much into performance, let's talk about the quality of the unit itself. The exterior of the DS416slim is ABS plastic which lends a bit of durability thanks to its high impact resistance, and this covers a steel frame that adds structure for the drive trays and motherboard components.
The performance throughout most of my testing was rather good. It did fall off a bit in workload testing once we made it to RAID 10 but otherwise I was able to reach competitive performance throughout single client testing with peak sequential speed of 111 MB/s read and 97 MB/s write. It excelled in both Database and Web Server workloads in RAID 0 and 5.
With this appliance coming in at an amazing MSRP of $289.99 for anyone that has been wanting to get into NAS storage, this is a great place to start with DSM and get acquainted with all of the features and possibly move on to a larger appliance if/when the need arises.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||90%|
|Bundle and Packaging||85%|
|Value for Money||95%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||89%|
The Bottom Line: Synology's DS416slim is a great appliance for consumers wanting a space saving solution without sacrificing the performance needed for streaming content or data storage.
PRICING: You can find the Synology DS416slim Four-Bay 2.5" NAS for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology DS416slim Four-Bay 2.5" NAS retails for $290 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology DS416slim Four-Bay 2.5" NAS retails for £256 at Amazon UK.
- Page 4 [Benchmarks – Single Client and Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Workload Performance and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIVEAWAY: ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Pro Gaming i9 XE boards
- Battle royale revenue to grow 600% in 2018
- Fortnite makes over $1 billion in less than a year
- Treyarch tease COD: Black Ops 4 zombies Comic-Con reveal
- Call of Cthulhu releases this Halloween
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit