Features of the GA-K8T890-8
- Package and Contents
First off we take a look at the package that Gigabyte supplies as well as what extras you get. VIA, despite its best efforts to push for top performance, has lately fallen to the more value orientated role. With the K8T890 chipset being placed in that segment by Gigabyte, the board is packed accordingly.
In the box you get your board, I/O shield, USB expansion ports, 2 IDE and 1 FDD cable pack, 2 SATA data and 2 SATA power cable pack, Driver CD, user manual and a "Powered by Gigabyte" sticker.
- The Motherboard
Now we take a look at the board itself. In design the size is that of a full ATX layout, simply because of the sheer size of the K8 CPU and cooler as well as the need for 4 DDR DIMM sockets, a standard ATX just won't cut it for this layout.
In the layout department, we have the good and the bad. One of the biggest problems we have noticed with Gigabyte motherboards is the placement of some of the important connectors. Gigabyte has been placing the 4 pin power connector between the Northbridge Heatsink and the I/O plate, which causes the 4 pin power cable to be routed around the CPU heatsink. This can reduce airflow around the CPU which should be avoided at all costs.
The rest of the board's layout is pretty good. 1 PCI-Express x16, 2 PCI-Express x1 and 3 standard PCI slots make up the expansion card slots. Passive cooling is only required for the K8T890 chipsets at stock speeds so that is all is supplied for cooling.
On the subject of power, Gigabyte gives you the option of using either a 20 pin ATX or 24 pin ATX power supply. A small black tab is inserted into the last 4 pin block, this allows you to plug a 20 pin ATX PSU in - if you want to go 24 pin, you simply remove the black cover.
Gigabyte has also colour coded the coded its DDR slots to identify channel 1 (in purple) and Channel 2 (in orange) along with colour coding the pin jumper blocks for the front panel LED/Switch connectors, one of the biggest and annoying hassles is finding the right pin positions when installing into a case.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 3 [Features - Package and Motherboard]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 4 [Features - The Chipsets]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 5 [Features - Overclocking]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft isn't supportive of Japanese games, says NIS
- Over 322,000 cheaters have been caught in Battlegrounds
- BIOSTAR reveal their flagship RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- Logitech release the ASTRO A20 Wireless Headset
- SK politician talks PUBG success, holds golden pan
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Replacement AC adapter for RT-AC88U
- Can't disable CPU SPECTRUM on a Z97-D3H
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz