This has been our first retail offering of the VIA K8T890 chipset, in fact our first review of any K8T890 board and what we experienced was a good value product let down by its engineering on VIA's behalf and not Gigabyte.
We wanted to emphasise the VIA part because Gigabyte has done a remarkable job with what they have been given, it is VIA that has dropped the ball.
VIA has fell behind in the motherboard chipsets, especially on the Southbridge side. VIA had the VT8237 Southbridge out just after Intel released the ICH5 Southbridge. Since then Intel has upgraded to ICH6 with 4 port SATA, NCQ support and support for ATAPI, and now the ICH7 has hit with SATA-II support. VIA's main competition, SiS and nVidia also have far superior support - SiS has support for four SATA ports, Gigabit MAC on its 965 chipset and nVidia has support for four SATA-II ports, Gigabit MAC as standard and support for RAID bridging between SATA and PATA ports. VIA simply has SATA support for two channels and RAID capabilities - No Gigabit MAC, no support for ATAPI SATA devices and an outdated sound codec.
With that Gigabyte has done a great job simply by following design specs to keep the K8 happy. We can only hope that VIA releases a Southbridge that can keep up, as ULi is now hot on VIA's heals, with ULi making the cut will leave a very sore point with the end users who have held VIA up to the savoir of the AMD platform for years.
The Gigabyte K8T890 is a good value motherboard but besides that it doesn't jump out at us with anything special to break a sweat over.
PCI Express support
Performance on par with other K8 boards
Supports new AMD processors
Let down by old Southbridge with small feature-set - where is the new Southbridge VIA?
Rating - 7.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 3 [Features - Package and Motherboard]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 4 [Features - The Chipsets]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 5 [Features - Overclocking]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Gigabyte K8VT890-9 - Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD appoints fresh blood to Radeon team
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- PUBG to ban over 100,000 cheaters in one single wave
- Google hires ex PlayStation and Xbox executive Phil Harrison
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Intel 760P 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top