Inside the PRIME 13
Removing some of the keycaps, we find the PRIME 13 is backed with Cherry MX Brown switches. They use standard studs on them for easy replacement of the keycaps, and we also see the torsion bars are built in below the top plate and are not exposed.
The keycaps are molded in white plastic first. Once they are cleaned up, they are then coated with black paint, and their function is laser etched in the top. This way, the LEDs under each cap can shine brightly through them.
Removing eleven screws from the bottom of the keyboard will allow the PRIME 13 to come apart. Inside of the aluminum top panel, we find dense foam used to support it near the arrow keys and around the Lock LED lights. The lower section is flat with only a single ridge to support the PCB, along with a few studs here and there to help with that as well.
The PCB color of choice is green in this keyboard. Looking closely shows us clean solder joints on all of the switches, and no remains left behind from the flux.
Sadly, they have painted this Holtek IC with white paint. Due to the limited features and lack of full on gaming support, we cannot imagine this is more than a 16-bit MCU controlling the PRIME 13.
Once reassembled, and powered on, we find the PRIME 13 aglow with white LEDs. They can be turned off, as well as the option to illuminate them in five intensities. We also clicked on the Number lock, the Caps lock, as well as the Scroll Lock; we see that those LEDs are white as well.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Uber settles lawsuit with Indian rape victim
- Outlast games coming to the Nintendo Switch in Q1 2018
- Anheuser-Busch places order for 40 Tesla Semi trucks
- Celebrities will answer your Google search questions
- Justin Roiland introduces Squanch Games and teases new title
- Mantiz Venus MZ-02 Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure Review
- Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 - Which M.2 socket should I use
- MSI Z170A PC Mate Unlock NVRAM
- LaCie 2Big Dock Thunderbolt 3 20TB External HDD Review
- Z270X Gaming K7....SLOW Boot?
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series