After all testing is complete, the Vantec ION2 stands tall among its peers and competitors. It doesn't take much more than a glance to see that it has improved from its original state and it also manages to give some of the best numbers to date. A bit of a fluctuation along the lower rails, but not enough for me to not recommend this unit to someone who wants to have enough power for an enthusiast system.
While some may not care for the native 24-pin connector, I have found them to be very reliable and have no issues with this type of setup. It also ensures compatibility for those systems that have a mainboard that needs this type of ATX coupling. With the included adapter, I had no problems at all using both an older Athlon XP system and a newer Athlon64 box. Both performed flawlessly with no stability issues at all.
Another nice touch was the fully sleeved wiring harness. This feature makes it so much easier to keep things neat inside the case and also does a fine job in aiding smooth airflow. Even for those like myself who use water cooling, good airflow is still critical for maintaining a cool system. When the interior gets hot, the water system has to work harder to maintain a consistent temperature. Its good to know that the wires from this PSU won't be an issue in this regard.
As far as price is concerned, things are looking pretty good. A quick check online shows it can be had for under US$70, so we're not even close to the top end of the PSU price ladder. It was a pleasant surprise to see the price for a quality power supply didn't have to break the bank.
Bottom line... If you've been looking for a new quality power supply for your enthusiast box, there are many choices. If you've been looking for a new quality power supply that has plenty of voltage along all rails and also comes in at a very agreeable price, then you'll want to take a good look at this Vantec offering. The ION2 has solid power along all rails, has some very nice features that keep the enthusiast in mind, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Native 24-pin primary power connector
Fully sleeved wiring harness
Good power flow to all rails
Slight fluctuations in 5v and 3.3v rails
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- KFA2's new GeForce GTX 1070 Ti EX graphics card teased
- ZOTAC unleashes GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ArcticStorm Mini
- Microsoft isn't supportive of Japanese games, says NIS
- Over 322,000 cheaters have been caught in Battlegrounds
- BIOSTAR reveal their flagship RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Replacement AC adapter for RT-AC88U
- Can't disable CPU SPECTRUM on a Z97-D3H
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz