File Transfer Speeds
For our router file performance testing, I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB Flash Drive formatted in the FAT32 or NTFS filesystems. I then use NAS Tester 1.7 with a 100 and 1000 MB file size and loop it five times with an average result being charted.
As we start out with the read performance of the 879, the router was able to produce 38 MB/s with the 100M file size and 32 MB/s with the 1000M file size. Write performance was a touch lower with the 879 coming at 14 MB/s and 16 MB/s, respectively.
The D-Link EXO is quite an interesting router in that while it is a full-fledged AC1900 solution, the platform underneath is quite new, to me at least. One thing I can say is the router is built really well as I would expect from D-Link, and while the antennas are integrated, they have introduced high power amps in this solution.
The management of this router reminds me very much of their smart home devices in that it is a very clean and simple user interface. With that said, you do still get to tweak your router to your needs for those that enjoy doing so and for those that want to set it up and go, you can do that too.
The performance was solid in wired throughput testing, reaching peak gigabit performance in LAN and WAN. Wireless throughput was average for the 2.4GHz band at 93 Mbps and 158 Mbps, respectively. 5GHz was quite solid as well, producing 167 Mbps on the 20MHz band and 294 Mbps and 395 Mbps for the 40 and 80MHz bands. File performance wasn't the greatest for the EXO as I was only able to achieve 38 MB/s read and 16 MB/s read.
Overall, the DIR-879 is a solid platform for those wanting an upgrade from an older router. For those wanting to jump into the latest 802.11ac technology, the EXO offers a solid price point with an MSRP of $149.99 and a two-year warranty.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||90%|
|Bundle and Packaging||85%|
|Value for Money||90%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||87%|
The Bottom Line: D-Link's DIR-879 EXO AC1900 wireless router is one the best bang for your buck products when it comes to AC1900 solutions.
PRICING: You can find the D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router retails for $150 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router retails for £211 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing, Availability and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Router Details]
- Page 3 [Management GUI Details and Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks- Wired and Wireless Throughput]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks – Router Storage Testing & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bad Habit release new trailer for Switch title Marble It Up!
- Keep calm as Dark Souls Remastered debuts to Nintendo Switch
- Android 17 officially joins Dragon Ball FighterZ roster
- Battlerite Royale Early Access trailer released
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, official launch trailer released
- Silicon Motion SM2262EN Preview: Micron 96-Layer TLC
- Need Advice 7800X OC
- Dial +1-844-319-0999 Dell technical support phone number for Dell help
- For Sale [10 Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $5,990CAD
- Recommendations replacing my Asus laptop Wifi adapter
- Xola Online Booking Platform Launches Travel Industry's First App Marketplace for In-Destination Tour and Activity Providers
- Creative's Super X-Fi Magical Headphone Holography Launches
- New ELiMENT Duplex LC Uniboot Connector Offers Highly Engineered Process and Ease of Installation
- Sevatec Announces Partnership with George Mason University
- VOTI DETECTION Announces the Launch of a Powerful Compact Table Top 3D Perspective X-Ray Security Scanner