Here are key points about the P37X v5.
Thin, lightweight, and cool: For a gaming notebook with a GTX 980M, 6700HQ, and support for up to four storage drives, the P37X v5 is very slim and relatively lightweight compared to other gaming notebooks. Most gaming notebooks with an i7, GTX 980M, and 17.3" display weight around 8lbs, while the P37X v5 weighs only 6.17 lbs (and can go lighter with the ODD dummy).
With this type of high-performance hardware in such a thin body, cooling becomes a big concern. GIGABYTE has employed a dual heat pipe/dual fan design that allows both fans to cool the CPU and GPU simultaneously, doubling the cooling potential when only one is being used. Thermal testing shows that the cooling system does a decent job of removing heat from the notebook, and the unit did not get as hot as I expected.
Impressive 4K Screen: The screen on the P37X v5 is a 17.3" 3840 x 2160 Ultra High Definition IPS monitor. It offers >160-degree wide-angle viewing and 255ppi. I guess the purpose is so others can also enjoy (and probably envy) your $2000 gaming notebook. It is beautiful, and the picture is crisp and clear, especially with the GTX 980M driving it, and the Skylake CPUs (such as the one used in this notebook) can handle 4K resolution much better than previous CPUs since they have improved 4K hardware support.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M Graphics: GIGABYTE is known for working closely with NVIDIA and other vendors to produce their products, and in this case, they have outfitted the GTX 980M with 8GB of VRAM instead of the usual 4GB. The extra 4GB is more than enough VRAM to handle almost all current titles at 4K. The notebook also has an HDMI 2.0 output with HDCP 2.2, which GIGABYTE claims supports true native 4K output with 12-bit color and 60Hz. While notebooks with 4K are becoming more popular, less powerful mobile GPUs can't handle gaming at 4K resolution, but that isn't the case here.
Superb Storage: The notebook supports a total of four storage drives, but only comes with two. The P37X v5 comes with a 1TB HDD and 256GB Samsung NVMe M.2 drive. There is an empty M.2 slot where you can add in more super-fast storage, and you can replace the Blu-ray drive with a 2.5" storage device.
USB 3.1 Type-C: USB 3.1 is twice as fast as USB 3.0, and the type-C connector is supposed to take over as the predominant USB connector in the near future. It's safe to say that many docks will utilize this connector because of its improved bandwidth and power regulation, so you are covered for the future.
It's thin, but it's also big: The notebook isn't small, and you will need a dedicated 17.3" notebook case to lug it around since you won't want to risk dropping and cracking the 4K screen.
Fingerprints: While the smooth aluminum finish looks sleek and chic, it's also a fingerprint magnet. With such a smooth surface, it can be difficult to wipe them away.
At just below the $2000 mark, the P37X v5 has a lot of competition in the high-end gaming notebook market. GIGABYTE is taking aim at the competition by trying to slim down the notebook while not cutting down performance, something that is very difficult to achieve. Compared to competitors in the same price range with GTX 980M graphics and Core i7 CPUs, the P37X v5 offers a higher resolution screen and weighs in almost a few pounds lighter in some cases. GIGABYTE has done well with the P37X v5; the performance was excellent, thermals were tolerable, and the fan noise was not excruciating. Overall, I was impressed.
Although GIGABYTE's notebook reputation in the US is just starting to solidify, I can attest from five years of experience with my u2442 that their quality, design, and performance are just as good as the established players. Since GIGABYTE just started in this market a few years ago, they are trying hard to make inroads, and this has led to high specs at equal prices, which is great for buyers. Overall, I am impressed with this gaming notebook; it looks like the edge of black samurai katana sword and performs like one too.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||93%|
|Bundle and Packaging||85%|
|Value for Money||90%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: While GIGABYTE's P37X v5 is thin, slim, and sleek, it also matches up a GeForce GTX 980M 8GB with an Intel i7-6700HQ, resulting in astounding performance to drive its impressive 4K IPS LCD panel.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE P37X V5 Gaming Notebook for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The GIGABYTE P37X V5 Gaming Notebook retails for $1989 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The GIGABYTE P37X V5 Gaming Notebook retails for £1499 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Physical Overview]
- Page 3 [Physical Overview Continued]
- Page 4 [Software and BIOS]
- Page 5 [System Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO and Battery Performance]
- Page 8 [Thermal Performance]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA quietly intros new GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5X
- PS4 exclusive Days Gone delayed to April 2019
- Thronebreaker gameplay shows blend of RPG and CCG
- Path of Exile coming to PS4, ratings listing suggests
- Red Dead Redemption 2 listed for PC
- onboard LAN MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00 after BIOS update
- Intel Core i9-9900K 9th Gen Coffee Lake Review
- x79 compatibility with NVNe
- ASRock X399M Taichi Stuck on Splash Screen
- HP EX920 SSD Review - Mainstream Perfection
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam