Packaging and Overview
The X99 Taichi's box mirrors the motherboard's color theme. The black and white remind me of the Yin and Yang symbol. Packaging is done well; the motherboard is zip tied to a foam container and then put in an antistatic bag. ASRock has increased their packaging quality compared to some of their other X99 offerings.
Accessories include a 2-way SLI bridge, 2-way SLI HB Bridge (for GTX 1000 series), IO shield, 3-way SLI bridge, four SATA6Gb/s cables, WIFI antennas, M.2 screws, case badge, manual, and driver DVD.
The ASRock X99 Taichi features five fan headers circled in red. They are all 4-pin headers, but only the chassis fan headers will auto detect PWM or DC mode. All of the fan headers support a maximum of 1A output, except for the CPU Optional/Pump header, which supports 2A. The motherboard seems to have been designed to mirror the mixing of technology and spirituality.
Combining the gears that move technology and the philosophy of Chinese martial arts has produced a neat looking white and black motherboard, but I might just be getting too insightful. The silk-screened gears look cool if that's your thing, and it seems that ASRock has centered the battery on purpose to match the silk screen. ASRock also moved the PCI-E quick switches to the rear of the motherboard so they would not interfere with the large white gear. I find it interesting that they made design choices based on the aesthetic effect of the chips.
The IO panel on the X99 Taichi features two 1Gbit LAN ports (both Intel), two WIFI antenna ports, clear CMOS button, USB 3.1 type-C, USB 3.1 type-A, three USB 3.0 ports, three USB 2.0 ports, PS/2 keyboard/mouse, and 7.1 audio jacks with TOSLINK.
The X99 Taichi has three PCI-E 16x slots that support a maximum of 3-way SLI or CrossFireX. The slots are reinforced by a metal cover to ensure heavy GPUs don't damage them. The PCI-E layout for a 40-lane CPU is 16x/16x/0x or 16x/8x/8x for the three slots from top to bottom. For a 28-lane CPU, the layout is a bit different at 16x/0x/8x for two cards or 8x/8x/8x for three cards.
There are two M.2 slots, but only with a 40-lane CPU will both work at x4 PCI-E 3.0. Systems with 28-lane CPUs will only get a single x4 PCI-E 3.0 M.2 slot; the other slot will only work in SATA mode. There are eight SATA6Gb/s ports at a 90-degree angle, the other two SATA6Gb/s ports are vertical. The two M.2 slots share bandwidth with SSATA3_2 and SSATA3_3.
There is a USB 3.0 header located below the 24-pin connector. The two vertical SATA6Gb/s ports mentioned earlier are located below the memory DIMMs. The second M.2 slot is located right above the POST code display. Two USB 2.0 headers are located at the edge of the PCB near a COM header.
The motherboard supports a TPM module. Case headers are located right below the lock on the last PCI-E 16x slot. The motherboard has two BIOS ROMs and a selector switch so you can choose which to use. A clear CMOS jumper is located near the switch.
The heat sinks and shield are screwed to the motherboard. The heat sinks make great contact with the components they are tasked to cool down.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X99 Taichi Overview]
- Page 3 [ASRock X99 Taichi Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASRock X99 Taichi Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mortal Kombat 11 to feature cross-play after initial launch
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Piranha Plant debuts 'February'
- Mortal Kombat 11 on Switch has 'geometry reductions' & more
- New Layers of Fear 2 trailer cruises the midnight seas
- How to redeem your Piranha Plant, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Optimum Health Optimum Health is conjugated linoleic risky.
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- Two Hat Is Changing the Landscape of Content Moderation With New Image Recognition Technology
- Top Executives Launch Blockchain-Powered Video Game Publishing Company
- Announcing Destiny Chaser's Global Launch!
- Dean Trotman Joins Sumo Digital as Commercial Director
- SmuggleCraft launches on Nintendo Switch 1/25