The drive ships in a clear plastic clamshell container. Micron includes both a half-height and full mounting bracket.
The top half of the drive's all black PCB is covered by a full-length aluminum heat sink. A grey shroud covers half of the heat sink to help direct and optimize airflow.
The bottom half of the PCB has no shielding; the components are exposed. This half of the PCB houses 16 of the drive's 32 Micron 16nm flash packages and five of the drive's nine Micron DRAM cache packages. Eight DRAM packages are dedicated for block placement and wear leveling data. The ninth DRAM package is dedicated for ECC further guaranteeing data integrity.
From this angle, we can see the opening at the back of shroud covered portion of the heat sink where a minimum of 300LF per minute of airflow is to be funneled, exiting through the drive's perforated mounting bracket. Two electrolytic capacitors provide enough power to flush data in transit to the NAND array in the event of a host power loss.
Removing the heat sink reveals that the drive's controller and major components are fitted with thermal pads to wick heat away. This side of the PCB houses the drive's controller, 16 of its 32 NAND flash packages, four 512MB DRAM cache packages, and dual electrolytic capacitors.
A detailed view of the drive's 16-channel, 16-core Microsemi (formerly PMC) 500MHz ASIC controller.
A detailed view of one of the drive's 128GB (32 in total) Micron 16nm BGA flash packages. Thirty two 128GB flash packages gives the 9100 MAX 2.4TB a raw total of 4096GB of flash. 2.4TB is available the end-user before formatting.
A detailed view of some of the drive's (9 in total) 512MB Micron 1600MHz DDR3 DRAM cache packages. Eight 512MB DRAM packages (4GB) serve as onboard data cache; the ninth 512MB cache package is dedicated for ECC.
Specifications and Features
We are going to go over the 2.4TB 9100 Max' specifications. For other capacities please refer to the above mfg. spec sheet. Micron's 9100 MAX 2.4TB Enterprise PCIe NVMe SSD comes in a half-height, half-length, low-profile Add-in Card (AIC) Form factor as well as a 2.5" U.2 (SFF-8639) variant. Factory specifications for both form factors are identical.
Features include a PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 interface, Microsemi NVMe controller, and Micron 16nm NAND Flash Memory. XPERT, eXtend Performance, End-to-End data protection featuring RAIN parity protection and advanced ECC bit correction on all internal and external memories in the data path for protection at every layer.
Micron 9100 MAX 2.4TB PCIe NVMe SSD steady-state factory specs:
- Sequential 128KB Read (up to): 3000 MB/s
- Sequential 128KB Write (up to): 2000 MB/s
- Random 4KB Read (up to): 750,000 IOPS
- Random 4KB Write (up to): 300,000 IOPS
- Read/Write latency: 120/30us at QD1 (typical)
Reliability: MTBF 2 million device hours, UBER: <1 sector per 10^17 bits read, End-to-end data protection, Temperature Protection, Enhanced power-loss data protection, SMART monitoring, Bad block management, Wear-leveling.
Endurance: PBW (Petabytes Written): 2.4TB = 9.6 PBW
Pricing: Micron's 9100 MAX is set to retail for approximately $1.35 per gigabyte.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Vital Progenix
- ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 with AMD RYZEN 5 2600 CPU will only boot Windows after reset
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions