Detailed Specifications on the Radeon RX 480
When it comes to detailed specifications on the Radeon RX 480, we have:
- 14nm FinFET GPU
- Polaris architecture
- 36 compute units
- 2304 stream processors
- 8GB GDDR5 @ 8GHz (4GB version @ 7GHz)
- Base clock: 1120MHz
- Boost clock: 1266MHz
- TDP: 150W
AMD Aims for the Mid-Range Market
AMD has split Polaris into two different beasts, with the lower-end Polaris 11 featuring 16 compute units and over 2 TFLOPS in compute performance and we have a 128-bit memory bus. The Polaris 10 is the GPU powering the Radeon RX 480 we have here today, with over double the compute units with 32 CUs onboard. P10 has over 5 TFLOPS of compute performance and has its framebuffer sitting on a 256-bit memory bus.
Now, we're going to get into what other two cards join the Radeon RX 480, with the RX 460 and RX 470 joining the roster - without prices attached to them just yet.
First, we have the Radeon RX 460 - which as you can see, has 14 compute units, 2GB of GDDR5 on a 128-bit memory bus, and no PCIe power connector - it is powered solely from the PCIe port. This is a great solution for eSports and MOBA style games, making it a cost-effective solution for games like Overwatch, League of Legends, or CS:GO.
Stepping up a few notches, we have the Radeon RX 470 - with its increased 32 compute units and 4GB of GDDR5 on a 256-bit memory bus. This means the RX 470 has twice the compute units, VRAM, and memory bus, leading it to require a single 6-pin PCIe power connector. AMD says the RX 470 will be for "brilliant HD gaming," so we should expect console-class graphics (720p to 1080p) with no performance issues.
I've saved the best for last, the Radeon RX 480. AMD has splashed down 36 compute units, with either 4/8GB of GDDR5 on a 256-bit memory bus. The Radeon RX 480 is what we have here to review right now, with the 8GB model featuring an 8GHz clock speed on the RAM, while the 4GB model is clocked down to 7GHz.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & A History Lesson]
- Page 2 [AMD Traverses a Sea of Stars With Polaris - Part 1]
- Page 3 [AMD Traverses a Sea of Stars With Polaris - Part 2]
- Page 4 [Polaris 10 & Polaris 11 - Here Are The Specs]
- Page 5 [Detailed Look at the Radeon RX 480]
- Page 6 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - DX12 & OC Adventures]
- Page 12 [Power, Temperature, & Noise]
- Page 13 [VR for the Other 99% - But is it Future Proof?]
- Page 14 [#BetterRed & Pricing Comparison]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bitcoin flashes past $19,000: could have $20K by Christmas
- Because science: sperm used to deliver cancer drug to tumors
- Battlegrounds replay function tested ahead of v1.0 release
- Samsung's mid-range 2018 phones might feature 18:9 displays
- Far Cry 5's new trailer drops, shows off 'The Resistance'
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series