This is our new section for video card reviews, with DX12 and VR becoming a huge deal over the course of the last 12 months. We have just a handful of DX12 tests right now, so expect this section of the site and our reviews to grow considerably over the coming months.
The same goes for VR, where we have both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive in-house now. We will be testing VRMark for now, which is in Preview form, as well as our thoughts on VR gaming on the HTC Vive with the Radeon RX 480.
DirectX 12 Performance
We have Ashes of the Singularity with DirectX 12, with some impressive results from AMD's new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 video card.
DX12 Performance Analysis
While we might only have Ashes of the Singularity and Hitman for our DX12 testing (for now, we have more games on the way), the new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 fares incredibly well. If we look at Hitman at 1080p, we can see that the RX 480 isn't too far behind the overclocked R9 390X - and it beats the GTX 980 considerably, too - some great results there for AMD. Even at 4K, the RX 480 beats out the GTX 980 and is just 20% behind the R9 390X - that's damn good considering its nearly half the price.
The same thing goes for Ashes of the Singularity, with the RX 480 holding its own against the GTX 980 and the overclocked Radeon R9 390X from SAPPHIRE. We have 39FPS average, edging out the GTX 980 and its 37FPS, while the overclocked R9 390X blitzes them both with 47FPS average in Ashes.
In order to get this review out on time, I didn't spend much time overclocking it - and I think it deserves its own separate article, something I'll release in a few days. But, I did some basic overclocking on AMD's latest Radeon RX 480 and hit 1300MHz on the core without a problem, while I was able to hit 2100MHz (8.4GHz) on the RAM.
Sitting at this OC on the RX 480, our total power consumption went from 250W to around 340W while the card became much hotter than it did at stock. While it was overclocked, I played around with manual fan settings - ramping it up to 100% and while the GPU was being utilized to 100%, the GPU hit 66C - even with the fan cranked as high as it'll go.
The AIB partner cards should be much better with both cooling and overclocking performance, so expect some more articles on this part of the RX 480 puzzle in the coming weeks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & A History Lesson]
- Page 2 [AMD Traverses a Sea of Stars With Polaris - Part 1]
- Page 3 [AMD Traverses a Sea of Stars With Polaris - Part 2]
- Page 4 [Polaris 10 & Polaris 11 - Here Are The Specs]
- Page 5 [Detailed Look at the Radeon RX 480]
- Page 6 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - DX12 & OC Adventures]
- Page 12 [Power, Temperature, & Noise]
- Page 13 [VR for the Other 99% - But is it Future Proof?]
- Page 14 [#BetterRed & Pricing Comparison]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Mortal Kombat 11 paid beta features 5 fighters, no Sub-Zero
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- Getting SSD to boot
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced