Here are key points about the GIGABYTE X99-Phoenix SLI.
Orange on Cloud 9: I have seen orange on black, and I thought that was one of the best color schemes until I saw the X99-Phoenix SLI's orange on white. The mixture of neon colors and white is visual bliss, at least in my opinion. I usually dislike too many RGB LEDs, but GIGABYTE's diffusion of the RGBs in the audio, IO panel, and SATA areas actually looks classy.
Great 2-Way and Solid 3-Way Spacing: GIGABYTE changed up their PCI-E spacing to provide the ability to run two cards with great spacing. I have seen a few other motherboards have similar spacing, but they usually end up having issues with covering up the bottommost motherboard headers with three cards, but that is not the case with the X99-Phoenix SLI. The third card won't cover the headers if it is a normal double slotted GPU.
U.2, M.2, and Intel USB 3.1 Simultaneously: The X99-Phoenix SLI can provide full 32Gb/s bandwidth to the M.2 slot, another 32Gb/s to the U.2 port, and 20Gb/s to the Intel USB 3.1 controller, all at the same time, if you use a 40 PCI-E lane CPU. The same cannot be said about many other motherboards, which will sacrifice one high bandwidth feature for another. Intel's USB 3.1 controller is not very common on X99 since it requires a certain amount of bandwidth, but GIGABYTE was able to route four PCH PCI-E lanes to the controller and not use up precious CPU lanes.
Triple Intel NICs: Most will be more than pleased to see two Intel Gbit NICs that they can team up, but GIGABYTE went a step further and added in Intel's latest Wireless AC/Bluetooth 4.2 M.2 card for those who want to use WIFI connectivity.
GIGABYTE's UEFI Overhaul: GIGABYTE's BIOS engineers have done a great job of revamping their UEFI to meet the demands of consumers. I am glad GIGABYTE has departed from their traditional easy to use simple-only fan implementation and moved towards much better fan control options in the UEFI. Like many others, I install the least amount of software possible to avoid conflicts; with the new UEFI fan control, there is little need to set the fans through a Windows based application, which is a great thing.
U.2 Only Works with a 40-Lane CPU: One downside of allowing the U.2 and M.2 ports to work at full speed at the same time is that 28-lane CPUs (5820K or 6800K) won't be able to supply enough bandwidth on this motherboard to operate the U.2 port. However, there are M.2 to U.2 adapters that are widely available if you still want to use U.2.
From the ashes, the Phoenix shall rise. The X99-Phoenix SLI could be considered almost legendary for GIGABYTE motherboards. It's the motherboard where GIGABYTE has kicked things up a notch and made large strides instead of the usual small ones. Totally revamped PCI-E layout to optimize 2-way and 3-way GPU configured over 4-way: check. Two Intel Gbit NICs and Intel Wireless AC: check. Orange and white color theme with tasteful RGB LEDs: check. New UEFI with expanded fan and RGB LED control: check. All the latest connectivity features: check. Almost every nail has been hit on the head with the X99-Phoenix SLI.
GIGABYTE went back to the drawing board with this motherboard, and also with its other motherboards. They have totally revamped their lineup for the better and created a product that can provide a solid experience and excitement. I was also impressed with the IO performance, especially considering all the high bandwidth IO ports can operate simultaneously.
You lose almost no features because you are using another feature, something that a lot of X99 motherboard suffer from. With the X99-Phoenix SLI you get exactly what you pay for, and perhaps a little bit more.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Performance (including Overclocking)||93%|
|Quality including Design and Build||91%|
|Bundle and Packaging||92%|
|Value for Money||91%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: GIGABYTE's X99-Phoenix SLI is not only a good looker, but also provides top IO performance to all slots and ports without compromising features.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE X99-Phoenix SLI (Intel X99) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The GIGABYTE X99-Phoenix SLI (Intel X99) Motherboard retails for $373 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X99-Phoenix SLI Overview ]
- Page 3 [GIGABYTE X99-Phoenix SLI Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE X99-Phoenix SLI Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE teases its AORUS RTX 2080 XTREME 8G graphics card
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 launches October 17 for $499-$599
- Bad Habit release new trailer for Switch title Marble It Up!
- Keep calm as Dark Souls Remastered debuts to Nintendo Switch
- Android 17 officially joins Dragon Ball FighterZ roster
- Silicon Motion SM2262EN Preview: Micron 96-Layer TLC
- Need Advice 7800X OC
- Dial +1-844-319-0999 Dell technical support phone number for Dell help
- For Sale [10 Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $5,990CAD
- Recommendations replacing my Asus laptop Wifi adapter
- Xola Online Booking Platform Launches Travel Industry's First App Marketplace for In-Destination Tour and Activity Providers
- Creative's Super X-Fi Magical Headphone Holography Launches
- New ELiMENT Duplex LC Uniboot Connector Offers Highly Engineered Process and Ease of Installation
- Sevatec Announces Partnership with George Mason University
- VOTI DETECTION Announces the Launch of a Powerful Compact Table Top 3D Perspective X-Ray Security Scanner