Packaging and Overview
The Z170M OC Formula's box is simple and carries ASRock's OC logo. The motherboard is well protected by foam lining and sits inside an anti-static bag.
Accessories include 2x SATA6Gb/s cables, IO shield, SLI connector, M.2 screw, driver DVD, and quick reference guide.
The ASRock Z170M OC Formula has five fan headers; the ones circled in blue are auto sensing 4-pin voltage/PWM mode headers and the single header circled in red is a 3-pin voltage mode header. Overall aesthetics of the motherboard are consistent and look quite good. The hints of yellow in the heat sinks and IO/audio shield add to the trademark yellow/black color scheme of the OC Formula series of motherboards. You will find a translucent sliver of PCB along the right-hand side of the motherboard that lights up when the motherboard is powered up. You can disable the LEDs if you don't like them. The back of the motherboard is bare except for some LEDs, the SuperIO, and some other miscellaneous chips.
The IO panel on the Z170M OC Formula carries four USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.1 type-A, USB 3.1 type-C, two USB 2.0 ports, PS/2 keyboard/mouse port, HDMI, DisplayPort, ClearCMOS button, 1Gbit Ethernet port, and 7.1 audio output with S/PDIF.
The PCI-E layout is simple; the first and second PCI-E 16x slots share bandwidth from the CPU, they will operate at 16x/0x or 8x/8x. The last PCI-E 16x slot is 4x electrical and connected to the PCH; it can be used for NVMe RAID.
The Z170M OC Formula has a single M.2 slot located in between the first and second PCI-E 16x slots. There are eight SATA6Gb/s ports. Six of the SATA6Gb/s ports are from the PCH, and four can use used as two SATA Express ports. The extra two ports, the ones nearest the 24-pin connector, come from an ASMedia controller. There is some sharing of the M.2 slot and SATA ports, so you will need to look at the manual for possible configurations.
ASRock provides a myriad of overclocking features. At the top of the board, you will find the power and reset buttons and voltage read points. The plus, minus, and menu buttons provide on-the-fly overclocking using ASRock's application. There are three switches located right above the SATA6Gb/s ports. Starting from the edge of the motherboard their functions are as follows; slow mode, XMP, LN2 Mode. The single button located above the switches is for DirectKey. A single USB 3.0 internal header is located right below the 24-pin motherboard power connector.
A POST code connector is located at the bottom of the motherboard. Near the POST code display are two BIOS ROMs in DIP sockets, the adjacent switch will allow you to switch between them.
The motherboard also has a COM header, two USB 2.0 headers, system headers, Thunderbolt 3 header, and even a header for Thunderbolt 2.
Heatsinks are all secured with metal screws, and they seem to make excellent contact with the chips they cool.
PRICING: You can find the ASRock Z170M OC Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASRock Z170M OC Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for $219 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170M OC Formula Overview]
- Page 3 [ASROCK Z170M OC Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASROCK Z170M OC Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [The BIOS]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Arena brawler 'My Hero One's Justice' announced for Switch
- DOOM Rebooted will get a physical deluxe soundtrack release
- Radical Heights - first patch, new gun/performance increases
- Sea of Thieves patch 1.0.4, Rares attempt at stability
- Insomniacs Spider-Man leaked screenshots tease two villains
- FSP CMT510 RGB Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- I'm need help from GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
- Investigation: m.2 Heatsinks, are they worth it?
- FS 30 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9+ (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $7,740
- HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit