Temperature and Power Consumption
The power consumption of the NUC6i7KYK is right in between that of a desktop and your typical dual-core NUC, but the NVMe SSD sure doesn't help idle power. The power brick that comes with the unit is quite big (almost as big as the unit), and it should support up to roughly 120W.
The thermals of the NUC6i7KYK are quite interesting. The exhaust can get quite hot, but with Intel's standard cooling curve, the unit stays very quiet and doesn't howl like many devices when they are stressed to their limits.
The unit has a single exhaust located at the back of the unit on the left-hand side (if facing the rear of the unit), at load, the temperatures didn't increase over 50C.
Here we can see that at idle the exhaust section is warmer than the intake area on the right-hand side (if facing the rear of the unit). Air is pulled across the internals of the unit and out through the exhaust. We can see this thermal gradient increase when load increase since the internal air vacuum effect is more pronounced when fan speed is increased.
We can see that if the lid is removed, the M.2 SSD becomes very hot after five minutes. It's because the unit depends on the blower fan creating a vacuum where the air is pulled across the entire unit. This effect cools down the M.2 SSD so well that no thermal pad is required (as long as you keep the lid on), and it's another reason that the H170 PCH doesn't require a heat sink.
PRICING: You can find the Intel Skull Canyon NUC NUC6i7KYK Mini PC for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Intel Skull Canyon NUC NUC6i7KYK Mini PC retails for $687 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital PS4 game sales locked exclusively to PSN
- Enter the 'Spider-Verse' for our Spider-Man Blu-ray giveaway
- Epic Store has 85 million users
- Google Stadia only works with Pixel phones, Chromecast on TV
- Switch could use Microsoft voice chat technology
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- vandafil advanced blend
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced