What a time to be alive, eh?
Here I am again, writing my final thoughts at midnight on the day I fly from Australia to Taiwan for Computex 2016. Another year has flown past, and just last week we had the utter pleasure of reviewing the GeForce GTX 1080 - and now, the GTX 1070 which in my opinion, is a far better card.
It's a hard sell, and people are going to question it all the time, but I did ten years of IT retail sales before I started the gig here at TweakTown. I sold custom gaming PCs and hardware, and would always recommend the card that had far better price/performance than the top of the line, enthusiast card. Sure, the GTX 1080 is a monster, but the GTX 1070 is $220 cheaper and does not trail that far behind in terms of performance.
If you want to spend the full $699 for the GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition (and probably more like $749-$799 for the partner cards) - I won't stop you. But what I will do, is usher you in the direction of the GTX 1070. This is something I did in my day job all those years ago. The way I'd sell it is I'd make the customer think in the way of 'if I spend X percentage more money, will I receive Y percentage more performance' and most of the time the answer was no.
The GTX 1080 FE is $220 more than the GTX 1070, which equates to 31%. Now, if we look at the benchmarks, the GTX 1080 isn't 31% faster... and then you can take into consideration the overclocking abilities of the GTX 1070, which make that gap even larger. The GeForce GTX 1070 really is a force to be reckoned with, and it begins chewing into the GTX 1080 in a big way when you look at the slight step down in performance, but huge savings on your wallet.
If we look at the GTX 1070 versus the best that AMD has to offer in the Radeon R9 Fury X, which costs $599 by the way, the GTX 1070 is the better buy by far. The Fury X has HBM1 but offers no performance benefits, even with the huge 512GB/sec bandwidth (versus the 256GB/sec on offer with the GDDR5-powered GTX 1070). It beats the Fury X in virtually all of our tests, so we're going to have to wait until AMD unveils its new Polaris cards to see if they can topple the GTX 1070.
To wrap things up: if you're in the market for a new video card, and you were able to hold off on pulling the trigger on the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, as well as the Fury range from AMD, then your time has come. The GeForce GTX 1070 represents a massive jump in performance over the GTX 970, with double the framebuffer, and double the performance. There's nothing that doesn't impress with the GeForce GTX 1070.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Performance (overclocking, power)||100%|
|Quality (build, design, cooling)||95%|
|General Features (display outputs, etc)||95%|
|Bundle, Packaging & Software||95%|
|Value for Money||100%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||97%|
The Bottom Line: NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1070 makes me wish we had an award that just said "OMFG BUY NOW". NVIDIA has completely changed the game with the GTX 1070, this is the new champion of price/performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [16nm FinFET, But No GDDR5X - And That's Fine]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look & Specifications]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - DX12, VR & OC Adventures]
- Page 10 [Power, Temperature & Noise]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate goes Hunger Games on Adult Swim
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019