As of now the Arduino IDE version 1.6.8, which is the programming interface for the Arduino, doesn't include the Intel Curie Boards such as the Arduino 101 by default.
You need to open up the "Boards Manager" perform a quick search for the Arduino 101, and then install it. It is very easy to do, and once you install the package, the Curie example sketches and libraries will become available.
With the Arduino 101 connected to your PC through USB, you can load the example sketch "AccelerometerOrientation" which takes advantage of the Curie's inertial monitoring unit (IMU) to help understand the abilities of the IMU. The sketch will send back real-time information about the orientation of the board through USB to the serial monitor built into the IDE.
Another example sketch called "StepCount" will use Curie's RTOS and its pattern recognition capabilities to take inputs from the accelerometer and gyroscope to determine whether the user has taken a step. I modified the sketch a little to output the information to a simple 1602 LCD shield, in this case, I am using USB only for power. I can say that the example sketch is accurate enough with normal stepping movements, I could get it to increase one step at a time if I walked slow, and it did pick up many steps at a time if I walked faster.
The Arduino 101 has a Real Time Clock built into the Curie module, allowing the Arduino 101 to keep time as long as it's powered. Having a dedicated clock built into the module makes utilizing time in your code simpler.
PRICING: You can find the Intel Curie-based Arduino 101 Programmable Microcontroller for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Arduino 101]
- Page 3 [Setup and Example Sketches]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will release next month
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series