What the heck is an Arduino? Simply put, it's a programmable microcontroller used to control hardware based on inputs from a wide array of sensors. Arduino-based products are open source, inexpensive, and very versatile. Microcontrollers have been utilized for a while to bring digital functionality and control to systems where a full blown operating system is unneeded and where reliability is important. Cars have many microcontrollers monitoring and controlling systems from windows to airbags. Many motherboards have dedicated microcontrollers for USB-based BIOS recovery flashing, fan control, and even overclocking features. The Arduino allows you to mix and match sensors with hardware to interact with the physical world, opening up possibilities for new devices in the internet of things (IoT).
The Arduino 101 provides Bluetooth LE, a 6-axis combo gyro and accelerometer, and even a real-time clock, but you also get a lot more processing power than you might need. The Curie SoC is using a Quark SE core which offers a capable sensor hub along with a 128-node Neural Network for quick pattern recognition of the inertial motion unit. To make things easier for the adoption of this new Arduino product, the Arduino 101 is pin compatible with Arduino Uno R3 shields, it's 5v tolerant even though it's designed for low power 3.3v operation, and it's fully compatible with the Arduino IDE. The purpose of the Arduino 101 is to bring students, developers, and makers closer to the hardware using the tiny Curie module which offers much more than many might expect.
The Arduino 101 has the same dimensions as the Arduino Uno, and the pins are compatible. You can stick shields designed for the Uno on the 101. While the optimum voltage for the 101 is 3.3v, the device does support 5v operation. The Curie SoC uses a Quark core and an ARC core that work together to tackle tasks. The SoC also provides a 32MHz/32-bit DSP sensor hub and 128-node neural network used for pattern recognition of the 6-axis accelerometer/gyro, which means the device can report a step count or other recognized inertial patterns with ease. The Curie module also has Bluetooth Low Energy built-in. As with the Uno, you can power the 101 through USB or a DC input jack.
The Arduino 101 costs only $29.99 as most places we checked online.
PRICING: You can find the Intel Curie-based Arduino 101 Programmable Microcontroller for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Arduino 101]
- Page 3 [Setup and Example Sketches]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Activision cut jobs to focus on monetization as well as dev
- Anthem's epic skins cost $8.50 a piece
- Crackdown 3 only exists to sell Game Pass subscriptions
- Apex Legends turning their son transsexual, says parents
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Switch, motion control support
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- Very odd boot behavior on three identical x399 Taichi builds.
- G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000MHz 32GB Memory Kit Review
- Asrock A97x Killer and Evga 980TI help
- New Screenshots for ShaRkPG, Maneater | PC Version to Support NVIDIA Ansel Technology
- The world's first judicial friendship simulator takes to Kickstarter in Supreme Courtship!
- Cupid hits Ring of Elysium with Valentine's Day event
- New Gameplay Video for World-Shaping RTS Bannermen Released
- Nokia launches Cognitive Collaboration Hubs to help operators design 5G networks and create AI-enabled use cases