Power consumption was one of my primary concerns with this laptop. Stuffing such a relatively power-hungry CPU in a small space with only limited space for battery material is a concern. Does it suck a massive amount of juice and thus die quickly even when just writing a word document with a website or two open? Even though it's not targeted as a mobile device, as a laptop, we sort of want and hope that it has at least some battery life. Dying right when we take it off the mains wouldn't be very much fun. It wouldn't be a surprise either.
The combination of a large capacity battery and the ability of Skylake to conserve energy with the help of NVIDIA's Optimus technology make for a surprising result when looking at battery life. At the wall, it can consume up to 198W as reported by a Kill-a-Watt device. But it's the battery life that we're curious about. Don't expect to actually play games while on battery power, however. That's a bit of a stretch, even if you can get around 30-45 minutes out of it.
Battery Life – Unexpected utility
Battery life testing has changed to using PCMark 8's built-in battery life tests so that they can be repeated by you, our audience, very easily. For the light test, I chose the "Work" preset as it's the lightest load. For the medium test, I selected the "Creative" preset as it represents a more difficult workload that you might see as a creative professional on the go. All laptops have been re-run with this test, and the results are below.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [Specs, Configurations Available, and Warranty & Support]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look, Outputs & Connectivity]
- Page 4 [Display, Keyboard, and Trackpad]
- Page 5 [Speakers and Sound]
- Page 6 [Everyday Use]
- Page 7 [Gaming Use at 1080p]
- Page 8 [Gaming Use - VR]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks – CPU & RAM]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks – Internal Storage & External Storage]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption & Battery Life]
- Page 12 [Thermal & Sound Testing]
- Page 13 [What's Hot, What's Not, & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- CD Projekt RED's Thronebreaker - 'No plans' for Switch debut
- Starlink: Battle for Atlas - 82% of unit sales on Switch
- Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - West Switch release
- Samsung should unveil dual-screen, foldable phone NEXT MONTH
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 gets into the Halloween spirit
- Buffalo Linkstation 520 2-Bay NAS Review
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Palit introduces the reinvented GeForce RTX 2070 Dual
- Cooler Master Unveils the C700P Carbon
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 - Now Available for Order
- SP Launches New Pocket-Sized Power Banks
- Tesla vs Lovecraft Pre-Orders Start on iOS - Release date is 25th Oct