In has become clear that in a single graphics card situation, such as using the ATI range of current graphics cards that do not offer SLI capabilities, choosing a chipset has become somewhat simpler. nVidia's nForce 4 Ultra series chipset is virtually identical to that of the nForce 4 SLI chipset, however, the SLI functions have been disabled through removal of a resistor on the chip package.
With this regard, the remaining features are identical, meaning the performance should be identical, which we have proven there is no great advantage of the SLI board when using a single graphics card. The only real advantage of the SLI version is you can add an extra graphics card later if you find yourself with extra money to spend.
nForce 4 Ultra also has another attractive feature, a smaller price tag. With nForce 4 SLI being aimed at the high-end users, it naturally has a higher price tag. This price hike (while small) simply doesn't make any sense, since the only difference that the PCI-E x16 Aux slot is disabled by removal of a resistor on the nForce package.
EPoX has done a pretty good job with the 9NPA+ Ultra, with only a few design layout flaws, we recommend this motherboard as one of the better non-SLI AMD configurations which we have tested so far. It's worth some consideration, that's for sure.
Supports AMD Athlon 64 x2 (with BIOS update)
Onboard Gigabit Ethernet
Combination SATA/PATA RAID
Cheaper than SLI version
Placement of the Power and FDD connectors not good enough
Rating - 8.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Resident Evil 2 Remake demo impressions
- Ghostbusters 3 set for Summer 2020, teaser trailer released
- EA cancelled new Star Wars game to work on smaller project
- Far Cry New Dawn official PC requirements released
- 2K and NBA to smooth over $1b rights extension deal
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!