Gaming on the P34W v5 – a surprisingly superb experience
Gaming is precisely the market that this laptop is being targeted towards. The specs look absolutely perfect for a small round of gaming while on the go. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M is theoretically a decent performer for a variety of games, as you'll see in a little bit. You shouldn't be under any illusions that newer games with sophisticated graphics can be played at the native resolution with everything turned on, but that's to be expected. You have to make trade-offs when you look at mobile gaming. There's only so much that any laptop can actually do. There are always limitations, but here those limitations can be traded for either maximum fidelity at 1080p or less visually pleasing, yet at 1440p, not a bad predicament to be in with a slimmer chassis.
So it isn't the fastest, doesn't have the desktop 980 hidden away inside, but it doesn't need it either. The price says it all, and the 970M is the perfect companion for nearly anything you could ever want to play. It's my experience that when I travel, I largely game very little but instead rely on that hulking GPU to help do some compute work while plugged in. But for those that do enjoy more intense sessions of gaming, then this little laptop can get the job done, though perhaps not as efficiently as others, but it does it at a price that's far more reasonable on the wallet.
Let's take a look at our normal slew of benchmarks to see how it performs. The P34W v5 is capable of gaming on quite a few different titles at 1440p though it isn't exactly going to excel at those resolutions with all the details turned on. For that reason, we've benchmarked this system at 1080p only.
1080p at this screen size actually looks rather good, and there doesn't appear to be any stretching or other artifacts or issues as a result of using a resolution that's less than native. Games run smooth, too smooth. It's a capable machine. In gaming scenarios, it does get hot, around 70-degrees Celsius.
But what of games you may not necessarily see in normal benchmarks? How well does this laptop perform in other games? We have a game compilation that'll continue to become larger as games are released. Listed are the average framerates of games; all played at 1080p and the maximum settings possible, sans AA.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bitcoin flashes past $19,000: could have $20K by Christmas
- Because science: sperm used to deliver cancer drug to tumors
- Battlegrounds replay function tested ahead of v1.0 release
- Samsung's mid-range 2018 phones might feature 18:9 displays
- Far Cry 5's new trailer drops, shows off 'The Resistance'
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series