This test applies 1.4v VCore measured, and then I try to get the highest possible validation frequency. The Z170GT7 does 5GHz just like most other motherboards.
On the Z170GT7, I was able to run 4.8GHz core, 4.2GHz cache, and DDR4 2666MHz as a stable overclock. This board is easy to overclock, but I highly recommend you use the money saved from buying the motherboard and buy a digital multi-meter to manually measure the VCore.
I measured the VCore manually at the output capacitor of the CPU VRM; I measured at many different levels so you can reference them. CPU-Z isn't accurate on this motherboard, and the automatic LLC pushed the voltage much higher than what you might have set. As a rule of thumb, I would set the voltage 0.1v lower than what you want to accomplish. If you mess around with the AC/DC LLC settings, I would use a digital multi-meter.
Compatible Memory Overclocking Kits
Test 1: 4x8GB (32GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz C16
The board was able to boot up on four of these sticks at XMP without issue, but it could not boot up any higher speed kits. The motherboard could get a BIOS update that would improve upon this, and there is a memory compatibility list. I would recommend going with a kit off the list or going with the Corsair kit above.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170GT7 Overview]
- Page 3 [BIOSTAR Z170GT7 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [BIOSTAR Z170GT7 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]