This test applies 1.4v VCore measured, and then I try to get the highest possible validation frequency. The Maximus VIII Formula does 5GHz just like most other motherboards.
On the Maximus VIII Formula, I was able to run 4.8GHz core, 4.2GHz cache, and DDR4 2666MHz as a stable overclock. It was easy to accomplish.
I measured the VCore manually at the output capacitor of the CPU VRM, I measured many different levels.
Compatible Memory Overclocking Kits
Test 1: 4x8GB (32GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz C16
The board was able to boot up on four of these sticks at XMP without issue.
Test 2: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz C16
This kit would not work with XMP, but did work when I manually set primary timings, multiplier, and voltages.
Test 3: 2x4GB (8GB) G.Skill Trident Z 3733MHz C17
ASUS officially supports up to DDR4 3733MHz, and the TridentX kit worked flawlessly, but you might need to increase VCCIO and VCCSA.
Test 4: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 4000MHz C19
I was very surprised when this memory kit worked on this motherboard. Up to now only a handful of motherboards were capable of running this kit, and the Maximus VIII Formula can add itself to the list.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £311 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Maximus VIII Formula Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Respawn's Titanfall dev team is separate from other projects
- Epic will stop exclusives if Valve gives 88% revenue split
- Nintendo won't reveal new Switch at E3 2019
- How Switch stacks up against other Nintendo hardware
- Xbox gaming makes less than 10% of Microsoft's Q3 revenues
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Fitbit Versa Lite Smart Fitness Watch Review
- Sonic & Friends Go Head-to-Head with 'Team Dark' In Part 2 of Team Sonic Racing Overdrive
- Rhythm & Dance VR Game 'Wave Circles' Announced for Steam
- Adrenaline-fueled Twin-Stick Shooter BulletRage Announced
- 'Final Assault' WW2 Cross-Platform Competitive Multiplayer VR Game Launching May 16 on Steam, Oculus, and Viveport
- Dark Fantasy Action RPG 'Warlander' Announced for PS4 and Xbox One