Navigating Through Android TV
Up until now, I hadn't used an Android TV-powered STB, but NVIDIA has now converted me. I'm using the LG 65-inch 4K OLED TV (which is just so, so beautiful) and navigating through the NVIDIA Shield on Android TV is simply awesome.
NVIDIA doesn't push any bloat onto the Shield, apart from including some of its own apps. Some of the apps you can install will include Hulu, NBA, Crackle, and more.
I spent most of my time with the Shield using Netflix and YouTube, which were perfect. Navigation through the Shield was super smooth thanks to the Tegra X1 processor, without a single performance-related issue at all.
Streaming Through YouTube & Netflix
I live on streaming content, as I've been moving away from my NAS-based content for the last 6-12 months thanks to my much better 100/40Mbps connection. I streamed countless hours of content through the NVIDIA Shield, with 4K video being a large concentration of that.
Shows like Masters of None starring Aziz Ansari on Netflix, through to Marvel's Jessica Jones looked positively beautiful at 4K - and they buffered and streamed quicker than I expected, with no quality loss at all. I was able to stream 4K content through the Shield thanks to my 4K OLED TV from LG, which has support for HDCP 2.2, which is required to stream Ultra HD content.
Just because the NVIDIA Shield supports 4K, it doesn't mean that 1080p content suffers - if anything, it excels. All of the 1080p content that I watched looked gorgeous, even the movies that I purchased from the Google Play Store for this review.
I bought Man of Steel, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Django Unchained and they all looked insanely good. Again, the buffering was only a few seconds, and then we were off and kicking.
PRICING: You can find the NVIDIA Shield for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The NVIDIA Shield retails for $196 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The NVIDIA Shield retails for £150 at Amazon UK.
Canada: The NVIDIA Shield retails for $289 CAD at Amazon Canada.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA's next-gen RTX server pods pack 1280 Turing GPUs
- Google's console-killer Stadia wages war on the industry
- Google's Stadia changes gaming forever
- Atari VCS console upgraded to Ryzen APU
- SEGA's survey dictates 'the next steps' for many SEGA titles
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 GAMING X & VENTUS XS Review
- Halloween 4K Blu-ray Review
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Dirt Rally Driver HD the successful mobile game is now available in PC for free
- Super Phantom Cat, a Retro Platformer is Launching on Nintendo Switch March 21st
- Turtle Beach Unveils Its All-New Recon 70 Series Gaming Headsets
- Sacrifices, demons and emperors of Elmoraden
- Lilith Games Rebrands Rise of Civilizations to Rise of Kingdoms