We have yet to see anyone else try something like this when it comes to CPU coolers. Cooler Master and their whole Maker Movement is present in this design. It is hard not to like a cooler with aesthetic options. Even if you do not want to change things out of the box, it allows you to change things later and feel that you have a whole new cooler in the rig, all without spending any more money to do so. We feel that the way it is sent to you is the best looking of the four options, but we also understand that not everyone has the same taste in aesthetics. When it comes to the MasterAir Maker 8, it is the looks that are going to sell this design.
That being said, there are some minimal issues with the design. In an era of no interference coolers, it is strange that Cooler Master paid little or no attention to this when designing this cooler. Of course, you can swap fans and eliminate the memory clearance issues we had, but with the 140mm fans cooling this tower, expect to run into issues like we did. For LGA2011 or 2011-v3 users, this issue is compounded, as you have the issue on both sides of the cooler.
The bulkiness of the design also makes you have to angle the screwdriver to mount the top center and middle row center screws of the motherboard, but we were able to get those screws in and secured. As for the PCI-E clearance to the top slot, it is usable, and again with all the plastic, solder points on the card will not come in contact with metal, they will rub against plastic instead.
Of course, when it comes to new technologies and a plethora of design options, this all comes with a premium price. However, at $129.99 for a single tower air cooler, we expected more from this design. It is by no means a failure; it is more than capable of taming our test system. At the same time, users who spend this sort of money can opt into something like the H110i GTX, get better results, and have all the clearance in the world. Granted there isn't much but lighting and fans that you can easily change on the AIO, but we do feel that pricing is going to be a major stumbling block for this design.
While we do like what we saw and all of the options this cooler offers, spending $130, then needing to pay more for different fans to compete against more affordable air cooling solutions pretty much speaks for itself. Of course, there is the niche market of users who will fully appreciate this cooler for what it is, but we feel the masses will simply see the results and the price needed to obtain this cooler, and opt for a more affordable solution, as creative as it may be.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||90%|
|Bundle and Packaging||95%|
|Value for Money||79%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||89%|
The Bottom Line: Cooler Master has outdone themselves with a unique take on CPU air cooling! There are a ton of features and aesthetic choices, we just wish it either performed better or cost a little less so that the MasterAir Maker 8 could be the full package deal that we expected it to be.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook stock drops $50 billion in two days, biggest ever
- GeForce 391.24 WHQL drivers: Game Ready for Sea of Thieves
- The Matrix launches on 4K Blu-ray on May 22
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit