Packaging and Overview
The Z170N-WIFI's box is quite thick and combined with the packaging protects the motherboard from any outside exposure.
Accessories are the basics; WirelessAC/BT magnetic antenna, 2x SATA6Gb/s cables, IO panel, GIGABYTE case badge, driver DVD, and manual with a survey.
The GIGABYTE Z170N-WIFI has two 4-pin fan headers circled in blue and red. The CPU fan header circled in blue is a PWM header and the system fan header circled in red is a voltage mode fan header, which is backward compatible with PWM. Only having two headers might seem low, but it's a pretty common number for Mini-ITX systems that are traditionally designed to be quiet and only utilize a CPU cooling fan and perhaps one or two system fans.
You will notice at first glance that the VRM doesn't have any heat sink, in fact, only the PCH has a heat sink. GIGABYTE didn't blow it with the aesthetics; they did make sure to keep a black color theme going so that the board is easy to match. At the price point of this motherboard, many users are looking for basic looks since the board is just going to fade into the case, and if that is what you are looking for, then the Z170N-WIFI delivers. The back of the motherboard is quite bare for a Mini-ITX board; there are only a few chips and an M.2 slot.
The IO panel on the Z170N-WIFI carries antenna jacks, PS/2 keyboard or mouse, 2x HDMI, DVI, 4x USB 3.0, 1x USB 3.0 Type-C, 2x 1Gbit RJ-45 ports, and 7.1 audio outputs with S/PDIF.
The Z170N-WIFI has a 4-pin ATX12V connector for CPU power; this connection is rated for about 150W, that is enough for most Skylake CPU overclocks on air. The two fan headers are located nearby.
The Z170N-WIFI has four right-angled SATA6Gb/s ports, all of which can be used as SATA Express. GIGABYTE also provides a 32Gb/s M.2 slot on the back of the motherboard. This slot will use the bandwidth from SATA3_0 only if an SATA-based M.2 drive is installed.
Two other SATA connectors are located near the PCH on the other side of the two memory DIMMs that are single ended, so you can easily install and remove DIMMs without removing your full-sized video card. The clear CMOS header is located at the fixed end of the memory DIMMs. A full-sized video card will not interfere with any of the headers. GIGABYTE provides a decent amount of audio features on this tiny board. The two white headers you see are for audio and for USB 2.0 (there is also a two pin S/PDIF header). A USB 3.0 internal header is also located in this area.
The Wireless AC/BT 4.2 card is vertically secured to the motherboard with a support brace. Between the 24-pin connector and the right-angled SATA ports are the color coded front panel headers.
The PCH heat sink uses plastic push pins.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE Z170N-WIFI (Intel Z170) Mini-ITX Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The GIGABYTE Z170N-WIFI (Intel Z170) Mini-ITX Motherboard retails for $145 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The GIGABYTE Z170N-WIFI (Intel Z170) Mini-ITX Motherboard retails for £105 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170N-WIFI Overview]
- Page 3 [GIGABYTE Z170N-WIFICircuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE Z170N-WIFICircuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pre-order Dead Cells now on Switch, receive 20% discount
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate available at this years Evo 2018
- Sony teases 'Tombstone' villain inclusion for Spider-Man PS4
- The Hulk smashes into GTA V with new mod, download available
- Dragon Ball FighterZ for Switch, open beta starts next month
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Biostar X470GTN Gaming (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Asrock X399 + Watercooling help needed please
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit