Packaging and Overview
The board is smaller than ASRock ATX boards and carries the ASRock Praying Mantis logo. Packaging is great; the board is well protected.
Accessories are a bit basic for a gaming product; WirelessAC/BT antenna, 2x SATA6Gb/s cables, M.2 screw, IO panel, ASRock case badge, double-sided tape for the antenna, driver DVD, and two manuals.
The ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/AC has three 4-pin PWM fan headers circled in blue. While you might think three headers is a bit low, it is more than most Mini-ITX boards. These headers are controlled through the UEFI or Windows. Mini-ITX boards only carry two DIMMs and one PCI-E slot, and in this case, ASRock has used DDR4 DIMMs which only have latches on one side to make installation easier.
The layout seems to have taken into consideration larger air coolers; I was able to mount a Noctua NH-D15. The board's red slots and heat sinks match perfectly with each other, and this board looks quite good inside a case. While it looks like the board has a lot of red, the board is so small that this amount of red doesn't look bad at all inside of a case. The back of the motherboard carries a good amount of ICs so be careful when mounting it.
The IO panel on the Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac carries antenna jacks, PS/2 keyboard or mouse, 2x HDMI, DisplayPort1.2, 6x USB 3.0 (one is a Fatal1ty gaming mouse port), S/PDIF digital, USB 3.1 Type-A and Type-C, RJ-45 Gbit NIC, and headphone out, line in, and microphone audio ports. There is also a ClearCMOS button on the back of the motherboard.
The Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac has a nice red heat sink that covers up the CPU phases of the VRM. There is a single 8-pin CPU power header located where it would be on a full-sized ATX board.
Two fan headers are located on either side of the CPU at the top of the board, and the other one is on the edge near the DIMMs. A USB 2.0 internal header is also located there, and a USB 3.0 internal header is located below the 24-pin power connector. Two of the SATA6G Ports (also an SATA Express port) are located outside the memory DIMMs (these are disabled when the M.2 slot is occupied). Case headers and other headers are located outside the DIMMs near the edge of the board as well. Installing a long video card will not impede connecting to headers.
ASRock has provided four more SATA6Gb/s ports on the other side of the DIMMs and an mPCIe Wireless AC/Bluetooth 4.0 card in an angled mPCIe connector. There is a single BIOS ROM in a DIP socket for easy replacement. There is an M.2 4x 32Gb/s slot on the back of the PCB, and if you install an SATA-based drive, it will disable the SATA Express connector and the two SATA ports that are part of the connector.
The PCH and VRM heat sinks are connected by an 8mm heat sink. Thermal pads are used, and they seem to make very good contact (better than normal) to the PCH and the VRM MOSFETs.
PRICING: You can find the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/AC Overview]
- Page 3 [ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/AC Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/AC Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- CD Projekt RED opens new studio to work on Cyberpunk 2077
- Tencent to publish Ubisoft's biggest games in China
- Vivendi cancels Ubisoft takeover, to sell all company shares
- Bizarre horror game Agony delayed
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit