Test System Setup and Methodology
As I have pointed out before, most of our readership falls into either the enthusiast or hardcore gamer categories so I will maintain a series of tests with this type of user in mind. Our selection is a mixture of synthetic, gaming and real-world applications that should give us a pretty good idea as to strong and weak points in the motherboard.
Before we go further, let's take a quick look at the test system setup and the utilities being used for testing.
Test System Setup
EPoX 9NDA3+ Motherboard (Supplied by EPoX)
AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Processor (Supplied by Newegg.com)
2x 256MB OCZ PC3500 Platinum Memory (Supplied by OCZ)
Thermaltake PurePower 480-watt Butterfly (Supplied by Thermaltake)
Sapphire X800 XT PE Graphics Card (Supplied by Sapphire)
Western Digital 80GB 7,200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
SiSoft Sandra 2004 SP2b
HD Tach 3 RW
Quake III Arena
Unreal Tournament 2004 (full version)
Cool 'n Quiet (a fan speed/power saving feature) was disabled during testing so it wouldn't be a factor in overall results. Memory timings used were 2-3-3-7 on the OCZ memory modules with a 1T Command Rate. Windows was updated to SP1 (I'm still not confident enough in Microsoft to implement SP2, sorry) and all test programs were updated to their latest version with the exception of Quake III Arena. This program was left in its original state so we could continue to use the Demo001 file included with the game.
Drivers used for testing consisted of the ATI Catalyst 4.8 for the Sapphire video board and nVidia Unified Driver 4.27. While the drivers are not the most current, they were the same series used on previous motherboard testing so I used these to give us comparable results in our tests. After our formal testing I updated all drivers to their current versions and noted slight gains in all tests but 3DMark 03 and AquaMark 3. The first title scored about 150 points lower and the second title scored an impressive 8000 points higher (1800 points higher in the video scores).
Version and / or Patch Used: 2004 SP2b
Developer Homepage: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk
Product Homepage: http://sisoftware.jaggedonline.com/index.php?location=home&a=TTA&lang=en
SiSoft Sandra (System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is a synthetic Windows benchmark that features different tests used to evaluate different PC subsystems.
Since I am using other utilities and programs to help test for CPU prowess, I only used Sandra for memory benchmarking. Sandra is one of the basic tools for testing this type of performance so it is included in our suite. After all, we're looking for tests that you can run on your own systems to give a direct comparison.
Overall scores were very close but the EPoX board did manage to squeak out a victory in the ALU test phase.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 1 [Introduction]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 2 [Specifications]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 3 [In The Box]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 5 [The Motherboard Continued]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & SiSoft Sandra]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 04]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 10 [Benchmarks - HD Performance]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 11 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH 2003]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 12 [Benchmarks - AquaMark 3]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake III]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 15 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- EPoX 9NDA3+ - Page 16 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD appoints fresh blood to Radeon team
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- PUBG to ban over 100,000 cheaters in one single wave
- Google hires ex PlayStation and Xbox executive Phil Harrison
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Intel 760P 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top