Z170 Classified Circuit Analysis Continued
The PLX8747 is a chip produced by PLX Technologies which was recently acquired by Avago. It's a PCI-E 3.0 switch that can take 16x or 8x PCI-E lanes and output 32x PCi-E lanes. Usually, the CPU provides all of its PCI-E lanes to the PEX8747 that in turn shoots out 16x/16x to two slots that can then be split to 8x/8x/8x/8x over four PCI-E slots. EVGA is also doing something with the CPU's PCI-E lanes before they hit the PEX8747. The CPU, in this case, sends half of it's PCI-E lanes (8x) directly to the first PCI-E slot, and the second 8x is sent to four PCI-E quick switches (each switches 2x PCI-E lanes), and can either go to the PEX8747 or back to the first slot for full 16x.
This configuration should deliver better single card performance because the PEX8747 adds some latency, but it still preserves the 4-way SLI capabilities that come with the PEX8747. Normally a standard PEX8747 requires a total of eight quick switches to switch two sets of 8x, in this case, there are 12 quick switches before of the initial switching before the PEX8747.
Interestingly enough EVGA doesn't use the Realtek ALC1150 like most other motherboards and instead goes with the Creative CA0132, otherwise known as Core3Di. EVGA adds a sense amplifier and some Nichicon Gold series electrolytic audio capacitors, then divides the audio section from the rest of the PCB. There are 11 white LEDs that illuminate the audio PCB divide.
EVGA uses two 1Gbit NICs from Intel; the first is the integrated NIC with i219v PHY and the second is WGI210AT.
A single Texas Instruments quick switch is used to switch two PCI-E lanes between two SATA ports and the M.2 slot. For extra SATA, EVGA is using a Marvel SE9220 SATA6Gb/s controller. An ASMedia ASM1142 provides USB 3.1 through an internal header, but I am unsure if you get the same performance as through a dedicated USB 3.1 port.
The main SuperIO is a Fintek F71889AD, which works with two NCT7802Y controllers to expand fan control.
PRICING: You can find the EVGA Z170 Classified (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The EVGA Z170 Classified (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for $400 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The EVGA Z170 Classified (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £357 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170 Classified Overview]
- Page 3 [EVGA Z170 Classified Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [EVGA Z170 Classified Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- TSMC feels the cryptomining mining chip crunch
- Oculus Go standalone VR headset should debut in May for $199
- Ataribox branded as Atari VCS, is a 'connected device'
- God of War is a huge 'epic on Horizon: Zero Dawn's scale'
- Office 2016 Professional Plus CD-Key Global: just $31.50!
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- I guess as with most other forums this place is also a ghostown of bots
- CalDigit AV Pro 2 USB-C Storage Hub 3TB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit