The Plextor M6V is another option in a vast landscape of value drives powered by Silicon Motion's powerful little SM2246EN 4-channel SSD controller. The M6V is the first SSD we've tested that is utilizing Toshiba's new 15nm MLC synchronous toggle flash. SM2246EN powered SSDs have quickly become de facto products in the value segment. Drives powered by this highly popular controller are well known for great performance, low power consumption and low cost.
Plextor is a well-respected brand, well known for delivering quality and high performing SSDs. Until now, Plextor SSD's have been powered by Marvell controllers with custom firmware written in-house by Plextor's firmware team. Writing custom firmware allows Plextor to separate themselves from competing solutions that utilize canned firmware. The M6V is the first non-Marvell controlled Plextor SSD we've tested. As with their Marvell powered SSDs, the M6V employ's exclusive custom firmware written in-house by Plextor's firmware team.
Custom firmware and new 15nm Toshiba MLC flash is a break from the norm and has us intrigued. To further distinguish the M6V from the rest of the field, Plextor offers their exclusive PlexTurbo caching software to M6V owners. PlexTurbo accelerates read/write performance of the M6V dramatically while at the same time boosting the service life of the M6V by caching small random writes and writing them sequentially to the drive's flash array. The M6V is Plextor's mid-level performer, and they have limited the amount of caching available to the M6V to 1GB of system DRAM. We would like a little more, but as you will see even when limited to 1GB caching, PlexTurbo is quite effective.
The M6V is currently retailing for $99.99 at Amazon. The drive is competitively priced, and in fact, is priced the same as many TLC flash based SSDs. We are going to pit the M6V against similarly configured SM2246EN powered drives; does Plextor's combination of custom firmware and 15nm MLC Toshiba flash have what it takes to outperform the competition? Let's take a close look.
Specifications: Plextor M6V 256GB SATA III SSD
The M6V SATA III 2.5" x 7mm FF SSD is available in three capacities: 128GB, 256GB and 512GB. Sequential read performance for the M6V is listed as up to 535 MB/s. Sequential write performance varies by capacity from 170 MB/s up to 460 MB/s. Random 4K read performance varies by capacity from 81,000 up to 83,000 IOPS. Random 4K write performance varies by capacity from 42,000 up to 80,000 IOPS. MTBF comes in at 1.5 million hours. Plextor backs the M6V with an industry standard 3-year warranty. No TBW is given.
PRICING: You can find the Plextor M6V 256GB SATA III SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Plextor M6V 256GB SATA III SSD retails for $100 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Plextor M6V 256GB SATA III SSD retails for £84 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Trace Based OS Volume) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - Max IOPS, Disk Response & Transfer Rates]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- G.SKILL launches Trident Z Royal Series DDR4: ALL GOLD, BABY
- Anthem delayed for PS5 rumor gets smashed by lead producer
- BLACK FRIDAY: Windows 10 for $11.89 & Office 2019 for $52.02
- Valve kills Steam Link hardware production
- Kingdom Hearts III is finished
- X79 Extreme11 NVMe - PLEASE HELP
- Silicon Power Bolt B80 Portable SSD Review - Subtle Style
- NeueChair Review: Redefining The Modern Office Chair
- Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD - $100 NVMe
- Narrow bezel on a metallic chassis MSI PS42 14 Thin & Light Laptop Review
- olloclip Introduces Add-On Lens Clips for Apple's Newest iPhones
- ROCCAT celebrates website relaunch with fantastic deals
- QNAP Launches the Mustang-200 Computing Accelerator Card
- Manli announces GeForce RTX 2080 Ti & GeForce RTX 2070
- Stunning New Character Strikes Her Way into DEAD OR ALIVE 6