At the beginning, GIGABYTE's UEFI was only the classic based advanced mode that I have taken screenshots of below. After I updated to the most recent UEFI, the orange and easy mode BIOSes came back, which can be a bit confusing if you don't read this review. You should only use the advanced mode (gray) as it has everything; the other BIOS modes are just redundant.
Overall, the BIOS was stable; I didn't run into to any problems that would give me a headache. Some boards I have used have problems detecting drives or allowing easy drive selection for booting, but GIGABYTE makes it pretty easy. All the overclocking settings you would ever want are present, plus some more hidden settings. Even though this is a public UEFI, Intel has so many behind the scenes settings for DRAM and CPU overclocking that GIGABYTE's engineers didn't hide them, so you can tinker with them if you want. This includes IMC timings and extra internal VR settings. Don't be confused, the CPU doesn't have the FIVR, but some settings are internal to the CPU's internal power management.
The only thing missing from the UEFI is a graphical interface for fan control. You are able to set linear slopes for the PWM control method on each individual header, but you can't pick points at which the fan increases in speed. This isn't a huge downside, and there are built in profiles which provide a cooling curve rather than a straight line, but hopefully in the future GIGABYTE will implement a GUI like other vendors have.
Since GIGABYTE is using dual Intel NICs on the motherboard, they are employing the cFOS software suite for users to control the LAN and outgoing and incoming data. GIGABYTE has also customized the Realtek audio software suite to better suite their orange and black BIOS color scheme.
With Z170, GIGABYTE has provided tons of software, and they have given the entire suite a makeover. I actually really like the look of white and blue color theme compared to the theme from last generation. In the image above, we have @BIOS, Ambient LED, AutoGreen, USB Blocker, EasyTune, HomeCloud, and App Center.
GIGABYTE has provided in-Windows fan control through their System Information Viewer program which provides that GUI based variable fan control that is lacking from the UEFI. The software can even calibrate the fans. Other than SIV, there is SmartKeyboard, SmartTimelock, EasyRAID, Platform Power Management, and FastBoot. The image on the right shows GIGABYTE's custom Gaming G1 CPU-Z skin as well as GIGABYTE's GTL, which is for tweaking OC settings in Windows.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the Z170X-UD5]
- Page 3 [Z170X-UD5 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [Z170X-UD5 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- EA gets wrecked over lootboxes at UK government meeting
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 gets Vegeta Super Saiyan Blue as DLC
- Agony spin-off title 'Succubus' gets raunchy selfie trailer
- Apex Legends has damageable dragons, incoming world event?
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night releases out of nowhere
- track pad stops responding
- Kensington SD2000p Nano USB-C Dock Review
- Phison PS5016-E16 PCIe 4.0 SSD First Look Preview
- Update Intel RAID ROM - How to do it?
- Memblaze PBlaze5 C916 and D916 Enterprise SSD Review
- Pinball wizards rejoice! Marvelous Europe adds a juicy twist to the pinball game format in SENRAN KAGURA Peach Ball
- Dark Quest 2 Now Available on iOS and Android
- Novigrad is GWENT's second expansion. Pre-order offer now available!
- Dragon Ball FighterZ - World Tour Returns For A Second Round in 2019/2020
- Jurassic World Evolution: Claire's Sanctuary available now on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One