Overclocking - Let's See How Far We Can Go
The MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning is a card built for enthusiasts, but it has its limits with the built-in cooling. There are going to be people that buy this card and never use the stock cooling, ripping it off and slapping on some water cooling or better yet - using LN2.
I didn't think I'd get too much more out of the card overclocking it, and we didn't - we went from Boost clocks of 1304MHz to 1364MHz stable. It didn't do much to the scores, but it's enough to say that it can be overclocked even more than the factory overclock. Does the OC help though? Take a look at our results below.
Metro: Last Light
3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 1440p
Heaven - 1440p
With 2 x 8-pin + 1 x 6-pin PCIe going into the card, you'd expect the power consumption numbers on the MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning to be off the charts, but they're actually respectable. We have power consumption of around 360W in Heaven and Battlefield 4.
When we were overclocking the card, we had power consumption that was peaking at around 400W to 420W, depending on the game and benchmark.
I thought that the triple-fan cooling setup on the MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning would be loud when we manually cranked the fans to 100%, but I was wrong. Even at 100%, the GTX 980 Ti Lightning is generating 55dBa, which is not bad at all with all things considered.
After hours of benchmarking and gaming, we have the fans only making 41-42dBa of noise, which is just great for a card with this much power inside.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 1's Operation Campaigns are now FREE
- LG's G7 development halted, LG starting over from scratch
- Super Meat Boy is a success on Switch
- Final Fantasy XV on PC will support mods
- Final Fantasy XV PC specs, release date announced
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Which chip Is my main bios chip ( Gigabyte P17F Notebook )
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series