In this section, I will go through overclocking this board.
Max CPU Overclock is found by setting the VCore/cache to 1.5v, CPU ratio to 45x and disabling any features that would result in CPU frequency fluctuation. I then proceed into Windows and use software to increase the multiplier; in this case I opted to use GTL.
5.2GHz is the maximum of our CPU on this board with ambient cooling. Maximum AIDA64 Stable Overclock (BIOS settings below for this):
I was easily able to pull off 4.8GHz on the CPU with 4.0GHz cache and a 2133MHz on my memory manually tuning the UEFI. This was quick and dirty because of time constraints, but I could go higher on cache and memory frequency.
For this review, I also used two DDR4 memory kits specifically designed for Skylake; the Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHzC16 (2x8GB) and G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHzC17 (2x4GB).
The Corsair 2666Mhz kit worked very well with just enabling XMP. The Z170X-Gaming G1 was capable of XMP with the G.Skill kit, but you need to manually set the VCCSA to 1.25-1.3v and the VCCIO to 1.225-1.25v, depending on your CPU's IMC, as the auto rules aren't implemented for IMC voltages.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the Z170X-Gaming G1]
- Page 3 [GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming G1 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming G1 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and RGB LEDs]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA wants to help save Tony Stark in Avengers: Endgame
- Nintendo optimistic on 20 million Switch sales target
- Bethesda celebrates 25 years of Doom's demon-slaying havoc
- Beyond Good and Evil 2 is all about being a space pirate
- Fallout 76 respecs aren't retroactive
- My Asus TUF FX504GD (a gaming laptop) crashes everytime I launch high end games
- OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock 14-Port Review
- AORUS LED i2c control?
- 1stPlayer Bullet Hunter MK6 Gaming Keyboard Review
- SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Review
- SAIRENTO VR slashes onto PSVR early 2019
- Rules of Survival Ultra: A Revolutionary Version with Day/Night Cycle, Changing Weather and Enhanced Game Models
- Brutal Classic-Style FPS SUFFER is out now on Steam!
- The hottest Steam games arrive in Fanatical's Winter Sale
- YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG Spreads Conspiracy Theories on Switch, PlayStation 4, Steam on Jan. 17, 2019