Since the introduction of the I9xx chipsets from Intel, it has certainly pulled in some controversy. Designed to be the next link for the PC revolution, it has caused a bigger stir with the end users, why? Overclocking.
Intel has attempted to virtually stop overclocking of its chips. Firstly Intel implemented a ratio lock, preventing the CPU's multiplier from being changed. This worked for a while, until FSB overclocking became easy. AGP/PCI divider locks to keep the buses that can't really handle the overclocking within stable speeds as well as overclocker friendly RAM gave the overclocker a bit more room to play with, so what can be done now? Simple, remove the divider locks.
Intel has attempted to remove or simply hide the divider locks for its PCI, PCI Express, DMI and SATA clocks. In short this means that every bus is being overclocked when you start to push the FSB. Now the FSB Netburst link can handle this, as can the memory. Even the PCI can handle up to nearly 40MHz, but what cannot handle it is the new serial links, that's right PCI Express and the Serial ATA start to complain when pushed even 5% out of spec.
This has now started to bring some of the crafty motherboard manufacturers to implement and experiment with finding the divider locks, after all, Intel has them on their own boards, when testing Intel's burn in you can adjust the FSB and keep the PCI and PCI Express within their ranges, so the dividers are there - it's just a matter of finding them and using them. A few companies like ABIT and ASUS has already proven they can get their dividers working; it's now up to the others if they want to keep up.
Today we are looking at the EPoX 5EPA+ I915P based motherboard to see what EPoX brings to the table for the PCI Express Intel users. Let's take a closer look.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 1 [Introduction]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 2 [Specifications]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 3 [Features]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- EPoX 5EPA+ I915P - Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rainbow Six Siege free-to-play trail beginning August 16th
- Rune: Ragnarok receives teaser trailer, screenshots & PC req
- Hi-Rez Studios announces creation of 3 distinct new studios
- Team17 announce New Game+ for Overcooked 2
- Dark Souls Remastered arrives on the Nintendo Switch Oct 19
- TRENDnet TWC-L10 Wi-Fi Light Bulb Security Camera Review
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- Legendary Actor Patrick Stewart To Narrate My Memory of Us
- Hi-Rez Studios Establishes New Development Studios, Strengthens Publishing Position
- Guardians of the Sky Arrives for TERA PC with Aerial Content and Limited Time Loot
- Lian Li Fuse Classic Brushed Aluminum and Modern RGB Lighting with new LANCOOL ONE Chassis
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution