In this section, I will go through overclocking this board.
Max CPU Overclock is found by setting the VCore/cache to 1.5v, CPU ratio to 45x and disabling any features that would result in CPU frequency fluctuation. I then proceed into Windows and use software to increase the multiplier; in this case I opted to use F-Stream.
5.2GHz is the maximum of our CPU on this board with ambient cooling. Maximum AIDA64 Stable Overclock (BIOS settings below for this):
I was easily able to pull off 4.8GHz on the CPU with 4.1GHz cache and a 2133MHz on my memory manually tuning the UEFI. This was quick and dirty because of time constraints, but I could go higher on cache and memory frequency.
For this review, I also used two DDR4 memory kits specifically designed for Skylake; the Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHzC16 (2x4GB) and G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHzC17 (2x4GB).
The Corsair 2666Mhz kit worked very well with just enabling XMP. However, most Z170 motherboards including the Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 cannot run memory at 3600MHz, but I was able to get 3466MHz to work with the 34.66x memory multiplier and some tuning in the UEFI.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6]
- Page 3 [Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen 10 3970X: 24C/48T at 5.5GHz teased
- Enter our 'Terminator 2 3D' Blu-ray giveaway!
- AMD's new Ryzen 7 2800X teased: 12C/24T at up to 5.1GHz
- Start 2018 healthy with our Fitbit Blaze giveaway
- Soul Calibur VI announced, coming in 2018
- Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 - Which M.2 socket should I use
- MSI Z170A PC Mate Unlock NVRAM
- LaCie 2Big Dock Thunderbolt 3 20TB External HDD Review
- Z270X Gaming K7....SLOW Boot?
- ATEN Phantom S UC3410 Gamepad to Keyboard Emulator Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series