Intel Core i7-6700K CPU
The CPU looks pretty much like past socket LGA115X CPUs, and it is pretty safe to say that under the integrated heat spreader is thermal paste rather than solder. I have been playing around and overclocking the CPU for a short while and I can say that the TIM doesn't seem to hurt overclocking as much as it did on some previous platforms. I am still able to get overclocks like 4.8GHz at ~1.4v to stay under 80C with both a Noctua NH-D15 and a Corsair H110i GT.
Two things you will notice off the bat; the position of the mounting points has shifted to prevent the wrong CPU from being installed in the wrong socket, and the underside of the core where the capacitors and resistors are has become busier. With Skylake, Intel has dropped their FIVR, and the integrated voltage regulator has been replaced by multiple large and minor rails to the CPU. The major rails are CPU VCore, CPU GT (graphics), CPU SA (System Agent), and CPU IO.
Intel Z170 Chipset
Many had thought that the 6700K would have 20 PCI-E lanes, and this is one of those misconceptions that started as a misinterpreted fact from a leaked slide. The PCH has 26 I/O ports, a lot more than Z97, and even a considerable amount more than X99. Out of these 26 I/O ports, 6 are dedicated to USB 3.0 (max 10), leaving 20 ports which can be USB 3.0, SATA Revision 3, or PCI-E 3.0.
There is also a maximum of 6x SATA6Gb/s ports that can be used out of the 20 I/O ports left after subtracting the 6x USB 3.0. Many people don't know that every PCH has PCI-E lanes, and they are used for connections to other devices such as NICs and extra USB or SATA controllers, and so people assumed that because they saw 20x PCI-E 3.0 it must be referring to the CPU's PCI-E controller, but actually it's referring to the PCH's PCI-E controller.
For the first time all the PCI-E 2.0 has been replaced by PCI-E 3.0 in both the PCH and CPU. Intel did us one better than that, they have provided iRST over PCI-E lanes, meaning that manufacturers can have up to three M.2 slots at 4x PCI-E 3.0 each, and they can RAID them! That would make Z170 the storage king (for consumers of course), but also a speedster in general.
To facilitate this increase in PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth, the DMI bus has been updated to DMI 3.0 from DMI 2.0, it should be running at 8GT/s instead of 5GT/s of DMI 2.0. The only thing that the X99 PCH has over the Z170 is the number of SATA ports, but many Z170 motherboards will probably add them back using a single PCI-E lane and an additional SATA6Gb/s controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [6700K and the Z170 Chipset]
- Page 3 [Skylake Memory and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: AIDA64 EE AES, FPU, PhotoWorxx, and Memory]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and Hybrid Video Transcoding, ScienceMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box iGPU Performance: GPGPU Memory, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, LostPlanet, 3DMark]
- Page 8 [Out of the Box dGPU Performance: GTA:V, UNIGINE, Resident Evil, 3DMark]
- Page 9 [Clock for Clock Performance: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime]
- Page 10 [Clock for Clock Performance: AIDA64 EE AES, FPU, PhotoWorxx, and Memory]
- Page 11 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and Hybrid Video Transcoding, ScienceMark]
- Page 12 [Out of the Box iGPU Performance: GPGPU Memory, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, LostPlanet, 3DMark]
- Page 13 [Out of the Box dGPU Performance: GTA:V, UNIGINE, Resident Evil, 3DMark]
- Page 14 [Statistical Analysis of Results]
- Page 15 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 16 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Amazon re-list chromecast in hopes of peace with Google
- Adventure Time will get a new Open-world RPG early 2018
- NVIDIA play huge role in smart car race with Xavier
- Reddit will have its content integrated into Bing
- Hyundai to bring 38 green cars to the market
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series