Overclocking is one of the strong points of the 6700K, Intel has put forth a lot more effort than they have in the past, and it seems to have paid off. If you are an overclocker, then there is some good news: Skylake overclocks really well.
Intel made some major changes for overclocking on Z170. First of all the BCLK is now separated from the DMI and PCI-E, meaning no more BLCK ratios. BLCK can now be tuned like it was before Sandy Bridge existed, 100 to 200+ MHz in 1MHz increments. Haswell had a maximum CPU multiplier of 80X, Skylake has a CPU maximum of 83X. Skylake has memory tuned up to 41.33x compared to 26.67x on Haswell and Haswell-E.
To overclock Skylake's CPU, you only really need to mess with the VCore which provides voltage to the cores and cache. A good CPU cooler like the NH-D15 or a Corsair H110i GT can handle 1.4-1.44v depending on the frequency, but I only needed 1.35v to get 4.8GHz under AIDA64 for an hour, and my temperatures didn't go above 80C, even though the room was pretty warm. The system agent and CPU IO voltages are also there, but they only need to be slightly increased for high speed memory overclocking, but for 3600MHz I didn't need to tinker with them on the Maximus VIII Hero. I didn't touch the cache ratio, but I will explore it in a future article.
My really good Sandy Bridge CPUs could overclock and grab a maximum validation of 5.2GHz at 1.5v, Skylake can do the same. For reference, my good Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs had a very hard time doing this.
I haven't really had time to do much stability testing, I will tune it more for future articles, but I do think that 4.8GHz stable is a real possibility with my sample and many others. This being a launch CPU indicates good things considering Intel usually increases yields as time goes on.
Memory Overclocking Results
Both the Vengeance LPX and Ripjaws V worked well with the board, in fact both booted up by just setting XMP in the UEFI. It is really nice to see that the 36.00x multiplier is working. In future articles, I will cover overclocking in more depth.
For measuring the CPU power consumption, I used an inline DC/DC Hall Effect monitoring IC to monitor the input on the 8-pin power connector, which should be isolated for CPU use only.
The 6700K has a 95W TDP which is higher than its predecessors, but its idle power consumption is super low.
What's interesting is that at 4GHz and with the same memory speed as the rest, the 6700K provides much better power consumption numbers, but 4GHz is actually a 200MHz under clock on the 6700K.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [6700K and the Z170 Chipset]
- Page 3 [Skylake Memory and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: AIDA64 EE AES, FPU, PhotoWorxx, and Memory]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and Hybrid Video Transcoding, ScienceMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box iGPU Performance: GPGPU Memory, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, LostPlanet, 3DMark]
- Page 8 [Out of the Box dGPU Performance: GTA:V, UNIGINE, Resident Evil, 3DMark]
- Page 9 [Clock for Clock Performance: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime]
- Page 10 [Clock for Clock Performance: AIDA64 EE AES, FPU, PhotoWorxx, and Memory]
- Page 11 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and Hybrid Video Transcoding, ScienceMark]
- Page 12 [Out of the Box iGPU Performance: GPGPU Memory, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, LostPlanet, 3DMark]
- Page 13 [Out of the Box dGPU Performance: GTA:V, UNIGINE, Resident Evil, 3DMark]
- Page 14 [Statistical Analysis of Results]
- Page 15 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 16 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate goes Hunger Games on Adult Swim
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019