Test System Configuration & Testing Methodology
TweakTown's Enterprise SSD testing methodology is based upon replicating server environments as closely as possible. This means our test systems are composed of strictly server based hardware. Server motherboards, Xeon processors, ECC DRAM, and standard server air cooling. All settings in the system BIOS and within the Operating System are completely stock. Storage drivers are Windows standard drivers, except as otherwise required for the test device to operate as designed.
TweakTown strictly adheres to industry accepted Enterprise Solid State Storage testing procedures. Each individual test we perform repeats the same sequence of the following four steps:
- Secure Erase SSD
- Write entire capacity of SSD a minimum of 2x with 128KB sequential write data, seamlessly transition to next step
- Precondition SSD at maximum QD measured in step four (QD32 for SATA, QD256 for PCIe) with the test specific workload for a sufficient amount of time to reach a constant steady-state, seamlessly transition to next step
- Run test specific workload for 5-minutes at each measured Queue Depth, record results
We chart workload preconditioning IOPS or MB/s and latency for each specific test. We plot workload preconditioning using scatter charts with each recorded 1-second data point represented on the chart. This allows us to see some of the performance variability exhibited by our test subjects. We chart workloads using line charts plotting average workload IOPS or MB/s and latency at each measured QD. Utilizing line charts provides a good visual perspective of the test subject's performance curve.
To summarize, we test with 100% Server hardware, Server Operating System and we strictly adhere to industry accepted Enterprise SSD testing procedures. Our goal is to provide results that are consistent, reliable, and repeatable.
PRICING: You can find the Micron M510DC 480GB for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Micron M510DC 480GB retails for $353 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Quick Specs]
- Page 2 [Micron M510DC 480GB Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4K Random Write/Read]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8K Random Write/Read]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128K Sequential Write/Read]
- Page 7 [Mixed Workload Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 8 [Mixed Workload Benchmarks - OLTP/Database]
- Page 9 [Mixed Workload Benchmarks - Web Server]
- Page 10 [Final Thoughts]