Micron M510DC 480GB Internals
The drive's enclosure is typical Micron. Formed from both sheet and cast aluminum alloy, the 2.5"x 7mm enclosure is grey in color with an industrial style textured finish.
With the drive disassembled, we see there is a plastic spacer that separates the two halves of the drive's enclosure. We also note a blue thermal pad located on the cast half of the enclosure. The thermal pad contacts the drive's controller and DRAM package.
The M500DC and M510DC both employ the same PCB. The only difference between the two is the flash node. This half of the green PCB houses the drive's 8-channel Marvell 88SS9187 controller, one of the drives two 512MB DRAM packages, one of the drives five flash packages and all thirteen of the drives tantalum capacitors. In contrast to the M500DC, the M510DC employs 128GB less over provisioning with a RAW total capacity of 640GB for the 480GB model.
This half of the PCB houses the second of the drive's two 512MB DDR3 DRAM packages and the remaining four of the drive's five flash packages.
A close-in view of the M510DC's 8-channel Marvell 88SS9187-BLD2 controller.
A close-in view of one of the drive's five 128GB (640GB Total) 16nm flash packages. Each package contains eight 128Gbit dies.
A close-in view of one of the drives two 512MB (1GB total) DDR3 -1600 DRAM packages.
Lastly, a close-in view of some of the drives tantalum capacitors.
Specifications and Features M510DC 480GB SATA III SSD
We are going to go over the 480GB M510DC's specifications, for other capacities please refer to the above mfg. spec sheet. The Micron M510DC 480GB SATA III Enterprise SSD comes in a 2.5"x 7mm standard form factor.
Features include a 6 Gb/s SATA interface, all ATA modes are supported, TCG Enterprise encryption, 512-byte sector size support, Hot-plug capable, NCQ support for 32 command slot support, ATA-8 ACS2 compliant and Security erase command set: fast and secure erase.
M510DC 480GB (steady state) performance specs:
- Sequential 128KB read: 420 MB/s
- Sequential 128KB write: 380 MB/s
- Random 4KB QD32 read: 63,000 IOPS
- Random 4KB QD32 write: 23,000 IOPS
- Read/Write latency: 0.50ms/3.0ms (typical)
Reliability: MTTF 2 million device hours, Static and dynamic wear leveling, UBER <1 sector per 1.0e16 bits read, End-to-end data protection, Enhanced power-loss protection, SMART monitoring.
Endurance: TBW (Total Bytes Written): 480GB = 1850TB
Micron Storage Executive management suite provides access to drive management, health monitoring, and secure erase capabilities. Micron fortifies the M510DC with reliability features through their XPERT storage architecture and power-loss protection.
Micron's Enterprise Storage XPERT Key feature set:
- Redundant Array of Independent NAND (RAIN) -Parity based data protection
- DataSAFE - Provides for data path protection though metadata and ECC
- Reduced Command Access Latency (ReCAL) - Reduces maximum write latency and manages flash wear for consistent performance
- Adaptive Read Management/Optimized Read (ARM/O) - Dynamic NAND tuning for optimized read performance
PRICING: You can find the Micron M510DC 480GB for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Micron M510DC 480GB retails for $353 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- COD: Black Ops 4 - Blackout Battle Royale mode goes F2P
- Elite Dangerous devs working on new IP
- Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr brings dragons back to Tamriel
- EA cancels new Star Wars game, disrupts release timeline
- New Evil Dead game still happening
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Comparison of directory opus and xyplorer
- Z390 Taichi Error Code 99 and A2
- The Silent Guardian: Antec present new Quiet Computing P101 Silent
- A Hero's Journey - Latest Total War: Three Kingdoms Cinematic Showcases A Jaw-Dropping China
- Pre-Order Metro Exodus From Any Physical Retailer To Secure An Exclusive Poster
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment An IO Interactive Launch Hitman HD Enhanced Collection
- Acer Debuts All-New Swift 7 with Compact Design and Incredible Screen-to-body Ratio