The AMD A10-7870K
AMD's boxed APUs com with a boxed cooler, warranty information, sticker, and the APU.
The boxed cooler is actually a very good value considering the final price of the product. It can support some minor CPU overclocking. While AMD's competitors provide an all-aluminum cooler, AMD went with a copper base and four heat pipes. I used the stock cooler for the stock testing, but at 4.7GHz, I decided to use an AIO water cooling unit.
This is the top and bottom shots of the APU.
I decided to include three other CPUs in testing. The Intel Pentium G3258 is a pretty low-cost Intel CPU which is a very popular value CPU, the Intel 4770K is a considerably expensive CPU compared to the A10-7870K at more than double its price, but it has a similar number of cores and graphics, and then I included the Intel 5775C only for integrated/discrete graphics tests in Windows 10, as the 7870K and 5775C both are the top integrated graphics from both AMD and Intel, I thought it would be interesting to see how their gaming performance compares in Windows 10.
I used the ASUS A88X-Pro and I used 16GB of DDR3 memory from G.Skill.
I also used a Sapphire R9 285 for discrete GPU tests and an ASUS MG279Q, a 144Hz 1440P IPS gaming monitor which supports AMD's FreeSync technology. I made a video of the technology which will be shown later in the review.
For the benchmarks, I decided that out of the box performance was just as important as clock for clock performance. I decided to test all the CPUs at stock, but I also gave the A10-7870K a 4.7GHz CPU overclock and a 2400MHz memory overclock, as these two were very easy to attain on the APU. I will cover how I overclocked the APU later on in the review.
PRICING: You can find the AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU retails for $122 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU retails for £94 at Amazon UK.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: AIDA64 EE AES, FPU, GFLOPS, GIOPS, PhotoWorxx, and Memory]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and Hybrid Video Transcoding, ScienceMark]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box iGPU Performance: GPGPU Memory, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, LostPlanet, 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Windows 10 Discrete GPU Performance and DX12 API Overhead]
- Page 8 [Windows 10 Integrated GPU Performance and DX12 API Overhead]
- Page 9 [AMD FreeSync Technology]
- Page 10 [Overclocking the A10-7870K and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Smash Bros. Ultimate director discusses 3rd-party characters
- Smash Bros. UItimate is fastest-selling Switch game so far
- 90s hit 'Blood' is being remastered by Nightdive Studios
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 'Absolute Zero' update is here
- GeForce GTX 1070 with GDDR5X could be around the corner
Forum ActivityView More Forum Posts
- LSAC Announces Technology Collaboration with Microsoft
- Funcom announces new game: Conan Unconquered
- Darksiders III Accolades Trailer revealed
- Insurgency: Sandstorm's Open Beta begins today on Steam - experience intense, realistic combat!
- DiRT 4 Coming to macOS and Linux in 2019