This is where you can fast forward to the final section of the review, and get a quick recap and points on the AMD A10-7870K.
Excellent Value: Great Integrated Graphics: There is no denying the fact that at $140 the 7870K provides excellent integrated graphics performance along with 4 CPU cores which provide reasonable performance. For the price of the APU, especially compared to Intel's offerings in the sub $200 range, AMD provides excellent value. When compared to the integrated graphics in Intel's mainstream CPUs, the eight R7 cores help the 7870K win most gaming tests. When compared to Intel's Iris Pro graphics in their latest i7, the 7870K does struggle a bit, but the Iris Pro part is considerably more expensive at three times the cost meaning you could buy the 7870K and a decent discrete card for the same price.
Great Windows 10 and DX12 Performance: For DX12 and Windows 10, AMD came prepared. There were many reports of NVIDIA GPUs causing problems with Windows 10 installations, but I had no issues with the latest AMD drivers. Both the APU alone and discrete card worked perfectly. What really surprised me is how strong the 7870K's iGP was in the 3DMark in Windows 10. In both FireStrike and the DX12 Draw Cell test, the 8x R7 cores in the 7870K beat out the Iris Pro graphics in the 5775C, something I wasn't expecting. AMD has heavily optimized their performance to take on Windows 10 and DX12, and I await more DX12 tests to confirm this more.
AMD's FreeSync: I spent a few hours tinkering with FreeSync and in the end I can say that there is a noticeable difference between nothing, V-Sync, and FreeSync. FreeSync is better than V-Sync, it offers the same anti-tearing technology, while providing a smoother picture.
Easy Overclocking: I found overclocking the 7870K to be extremely simple and easy. One trick to use with memory overclocking is to enable the D.O.C.P. and then change the DRAM ratio and BLCK to what you like, as those timings are extremely important to system stability and performance. While there are options to change much more than the CPU voltage and frequency, which is all I needed to do to boost the CPU to 4.7GHz, and it was stable enough to pass all my benchmark tests, including video rendering and wPrime.
CPU Performance could be stronger: While the quad-core AMD 7870K's CPU is fast enough to undertake most every task thrown at it, it still isn't as fast as Intel's quad-core Core i7 or i5 offerings in their mainstream lineup. That being said, the top of the line 7870K APU is at least half the price of comparable Intel processors (core count and clock frequency), making the APU a great value.
It had been a while since I had used an AMD APU system, the last time I wrote an article on an APU was back when AMD had launched their Trinity APUs, and they have come a long way since then. The support for the latest DX12 API and Windows 10 is quite good, and I had no problems loading up the OS and running benchmarks. Most people aren't prepared to dish out $300 on a CPU and then spend another $200 on a motherboard and $100 on memory just to have to spend another $200-$300 on a decent GPU to play even the most basic of games, and that is why the AMD APU can be very appealing. When it comes to their APUs, AMD offers a very affordable alternative with focus on graphics processing and efficiency. AMD's APUs provide the ability to play less intensive games at acceptable frame rates, and the cost savings that come with an APU make investing in a dedicated video card less burdensome.
Together with the discrete card, the 7870K offers pretty good gaming performance, the 7870K doesn't bottleneck the R9 285 as much as you might think. In fact, at 1080p, the 5775C and 7870K offers roughly the same acceptable FPS in GTA:V, with the discrete GPU hindering things more than the CPU. If 3DMark's DX12 Draw Cell tests are any indication, then DX12 titles should do very well on AMD's integrated graphics compared to Intel's, as AMD seems to have made significant strides to optimize their compatibility with the new OS and DX12.
Overall, I found that the AMD A10-7870K proved to be an excellent value product, offering exceptional integrated graphics and decent CPU performance at a very fair price.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Performance (including Overclocking)||84%|
|Quality including Design and Build||90%|
|Bundle and Packaging||94%|
|Value for Money||96%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||91%|
The Bottom Line: AMD's A10-7870K APU proved to be an excellent value part, offering exceptional integrated graphics and decent CPU performance at a very fair price.
PRICING: You can find the AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU retails for $122 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The AMD A-Series A10-7870K APU retails for £94 at Amazon UK.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, PCMark 8, wPrime]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: AIDA64 EE AES, FPU, GFLOPS, GIOPS, PhotoWorxx, and Memory]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and Hybrid Video Transcoding, ScienceMark]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box iGPU Performance: GPGPU Memory, UNIGINE, ResidentEvil, LostPlanet, 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Windows 10 Discrete GPU Performance and DX12 API Overhead]
- Page 8 [Windows 10 Integrated GPU Performance and DX12 API Overhead]
- Page 9 [AMD FreeSync Technology]
- Page 10 [Overclocking the A10-7870K and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bad Habit release new trailer for Switch title Marble It Up!
- Keep calm as Dark Souls Remastered debuts to Nintendo Switch
- Android 17 officially joins Dragon Ball FighterZ roster
- Battlerite Royale Early Access trailer released
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, official launch trailer released
- For Sale [10 Pieces] Apple iPhone Xs/Xs Max 64GB New $5,990CAD
- Recommendations replacing my Asus laptop Wifi adapter
- اقرب توكيل وايت ويل شبرا الخيمة (01225025360) توكيل ص¡
- EP2C602 wont post
- صيانة كريازى مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجة كريازى الت
- AkkenCloud Announces Vendor Management Systems Integration Partnership with JobRobotix
- USR ID adds tamper alert feature to mobile phone proximity lock app Leash
- Bitmain Announces Next-Generation ASIC Chip, New Mining Machine will be Available Soon
- Awesome Adventuring on the Go: Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse launches today on Nintendo Switch
- Uncle Death Radically Skateboards His Way to PC in LET IT DIE, Coming Soon to Steam