How Does the HIS Radeon R9 390X IceQ X2 Stack Up?
The performance of the HIS Radeon R9 390X IceQ X2 was actually pretty good. If you are looking at getting a card that is slightly faster than the 290X, but not as expensive as the HBM-based R9 Fury X, then this could be a very viable option. Let's take a deeper look at the card, comparing it to the R9 290X at 1080p, 1440p and 4K.
Performance at 1080p
Starting with Battlefield 4, the HIS card is a few frames per second faster than SAPPHIRE's 290X offering. We're looking at 136FPS average at 1080p on the Ultra preset (minus AA) which is just stellar. In a GPU heavy title like Metro: Last Light, the HIS Radeon R9 390X IceQ X2 beats out the SAPPHIRE card by 4FPS with 83FPS average.
Shadow of Mordor stresses out all of our video cards, with the HIS standing up against the 290X by 7FPS, close to 10% additional performance. There's an additional 9% performance in Thief, and an additional 11% in Tomb Raider over the 290X.
Performance at 1440p
I thought there would be more performance from the HIS Radeon R9 390X IceQ X2 when it comes to Battlefield 4, but you're only looking at a couple more frames per second - but still, 108FPS average on the Ultra preset (minus AA) beats out the Fury X by 3FPS.
GRID: Autosport and Metro: Last Light enjoy a few more FPS over the 290X, but nothing worth writing home about. Shadow of Mordor enjoys an additional 8% performance over SAPPHIRE's Tri-X R9 290X 8GB, while Thief and Tomb Raider are 5% and 15% faster on the HIS card, respectively.
Performance at 4K
If you were expecting more performance from the R9 390X in Battlefield 4 at 4K, you'd be wrong - we have 1FPS more compared to the 290X 8GB. Both GRID: Autosport and Metro: Last Light have 3FPS more performance, which again is nothing worth upgrading for.
Shadow of Mordor is 3FPS faster, representing a 7% increase in performance. Thief has an additional 11% performance over the 290X 8GB, while Tomb Raider performance at 4K on the HIS Radeon R9 390X IceQ X2 is actually quite impressive, with 26% more performance.
PRICING: You can find the HIS Radeon R9 390X IceQ X2 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: The HIS Radeon R9 390X IceQ X2 retails for £421.98 at Amazon UK.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Quick Specs and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [Packaging & Detailed Look]
- Page 3 [Card Specifications & Cooling Setup]
- Page 4 [Testing Method & Test System Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 9 [Performance Summary]
- Page 10 [Overclocking, Power Consumption and Sound Testing]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Adventure Time will get a new Open-world RPG early 2018
- NVIDIA play huge role in smart car race with Xavier
- Reddit will have its content integrated into Bing
- Hyundai to bring 38 green cars to the market
- Astronauts will watch Star Wars: The Last Jedi From Space
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series