How Does the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury Stack Up?
Damn well! It's a lot better than I expected from the cut down Fury X, with it beating the Radeon R9 390X without a problem and it is not too far away from beating the GeForce GTX 980 Ti in most of the games we've tested. Heck, in VRAM intensive titles like Shadow of Mordor, the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury actually beats out a heavily overclocked GM204-based card like the ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum.
Performance at 1080p
As always, we'll kick things off with Battlefield 4 where the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury easily beats out the 390X, and is just inches away from the Fury X. Moving onto Metro: Last Light, the Tri-X R9 Fury is only 5% slower than the Fury X.
Shadow of Mordor is an interesting test for memory bandwidth, with the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury just 3FPS away from the overclocked GTX 980 Matrix Platinum from ASUS, and 7FPS away from the Fury X, or 7%. Thief is 9% slower on the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury when compared to the Fury X, while Tomb Raider is also 9% slower on the Fury.
Performance at 1440p
Battlefield 4 performance was at Fury X levels on the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury at 2560x1440, which was great to see. Metro: Last Light had the Tri-X R9 Fury beating the overclocked GTX 980 from ASUS, while it trailed the Fury X by 9%.
Shadow of Mordor performance on the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury was great, with 78FPS average at 1440p, resulting in it being 10% slower than the Fury X. But, it still beat the 390X, and overclocked GTX 980. Thief and Tomb Raider saw the Tri-X R9 Fury losing to the Fury X by 6% and 10%, respectively.
Performance at 4K
At the peaks of 3840x2160, the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury doesn't bode well with Battlefield 4. I would put this down to early drivers, but we have to wait for some new drivers (which were released as we were wrapping up this review) and to play around with Mantle. For now, 58FPS average is nothing to complain about.
Moving over to Metro: Last Light, the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury is 8% slower than the Fury X. Not too bad considering 4K is where all the action is on these HBM-based Fury cards. In Shadow of Mordor, the Tri-X R9 Fury beats out everything but the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ and the Fury X. Pretty incredible results for SoM.
Lastly, two of our harshest games on our benchmark lineup: Thief and Tomb Raider. Starting with Thief, the SAPPHIRE Tri-X R9 Fury is just 2FPS or 4% from the Fury X. While in Tomb Raider it's just 5% slower than Fury X.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Quick Specs and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [Packaging & Detailed Look]
- Page 3 [Card Specifications & Cooling Setup]
- Page 4 [Testing Method & Test System Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 9 [Performance Summary]
- Page 10 [Overclocking, Power Consumption and Sound Testing]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Biggest Civ Expansion yet
- Marvel's Spider-Man: 'Turf Wars' DLC released, new trailer
- Amazon Japan has $650+ Smash UItimate Amiibo set available
- Warframe makes its way to the Nintendo Switch, available now
- Overview trailer released for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- The computer always restarts
- X79 Extreme11 NVMe - PLEASE HELP
- Silicon Power Bolt B80 Portable SSD Review - Subtle Style
- NeueChair Review: Redefining The Modern Office Chair
- Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD - $100 NVMe
- olloclip Introduces Add-On Lens Clips for Apple's Newest iPhones
- ROCCAT celebrates website relaunch with fantastic deals
- QNAP Launches the Mustang-200 Computing Accelerator Card
- Manli announces GeForce RTX 2080 Ti & GeForce RTX 2070
- Stunning New Character Strikes Her Way into DEAD OR ALIVE 6